Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Help

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone! I've seen lots of portfolio posts lately and I can't help but follow the trend. I'm currently in my first year of community college and i've been doing game art for about 2 years now. I really need some help from you all to give me some direction and tips for my portfolio! Unfortunately right now it's just on Artstation, i'm sure i'll soon have my own personal website however. I want no sugar coating, just the raw truth. What does it lack? What are the strengths and weaknesses of it? Where do I fall on the spectrum? and do you think it's okay to start applying for jobs with the state it is in now?
Here's the link: https://www.artstation.com/artist/jordanaston
Thanks! :smiley: 

Replies

• vincentvangeel
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    Your work looks pretty great, the only thing that I could suggest is a better breakdown of the project itself. Show some flat textures displaying the different maps you have used, concept art, some wireframes, single props ...  
    And if you put your images on your website, don't forget to stamp them with a logo or link so that they always know who made it and where they can see more of your work. 

• Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah I couldn't agree more I especially need to get the wireframe up for the gun in my portfolio along with flats!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'd say you're on the right track.  I agree that having more breakdowns of individual pieces and possibly different angles of your environments will help.  The egyptian scene seems like the weak link but it's still pretty solid.  Maybe polish that one a little more.  The gun could probably use another pass on the texture as well but looking pretty good as well.  Other than that, focus on maybe adding another prop or 2 that just shows off a higher level of texturing.  Very nice work though and I don't see a reason why you can't start applying for jobs right now.  It will be difficult to get mid or sr level spots clearly but definitely hit up all the jr level positions for env art.
  • Jaston3D
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just updated my gun like you suggested! Also cleaned up some baking problems. Still need to grab some flats! but here's the changes I made!

New:

Old: 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    This is a fine example of how a presentation can let down an otherwise good model. Really nice job on the new presentation. 
  • Doomathon
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hey great and promising looking stuff! :) I noticed on the gun that it could probably use some more geometry, such as in places like the scope. It's a crucial part that would be in the player's face if this were for a first-person game. Keep at it!