Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ruins Environment

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
First assets for a new environment. Sculpted in Zbrush and textured in Quixel Suite 2, rendered in UE4. Each seperate brick's color and moss overlay can be changed on the fly. Love putting this together so far :)

Updating soon, any feedback appreciated!

Replies

• n4uj
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    It looks great so far!
    If you are aiming for a realistic environment, and you want to have a variable moss, you should make that variable follow the rules of nature (or at least some kind of rule). Basically the moss does not grows everywhere (like you have in your rocks) but in those areas where there is more shadow and moist.
    Maybe you want to explore world aligned texture coordinates, since that allows you to have one texture always facing one direction (north, for insance).
    Also a very interesting method, if your rocks have a fairly big amount of vertex, you can always use vertex painting with a WorldAlignedVertexColours node, so you can automatically paint moss in those vertex thata re actually facing any desired direction.
    That last one is very cool, you can have a rock with moss on top, rotate it and the moss will always be on top xD. There are quite a few tutorials now about it, people combine it with tesselation and displacement to create a volume of snow in top of any geometry, but that is very expensive....
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj said:
    It looks great so far!
    If you are aiming for a realistic environment, and you want to have a variable moss, you should make that variable follow the rules of nature (or at least some kind of rule). Basically the moss does not grows everywhere (like you have in your rocks) but in those areas where there is more shadow and moist.
    Maybe you want to explore world aligned texture coordinates, since that allows you to have one texture always facing one direction (north, for insance).
    Also a very interesting method, if your rocks have a fairly big amount of vertex, you can always use vertex painting with a WorldAlignedVertexColours node, so you can automatically paint moss in those vertex thata re actually facing any desired direction.
    That last one is very cool, you can have a rock with moss on top, rotate it and the moss will always be on top xD. There are quite a few tutorials now about it, people combine it with tesselation and displacement to create a volume of snow in top of any geometry, but that is very expensive....

Thanks! I've been looking at a lot of ref, moss can basically go anywhere, I think I'll keep this as a random  lighter form of moss and add a vertexpaint material for some manual control. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertexpaint moss = true!
    Another night, another update..seems like a small change but I had to rework my assets a bit for vertexpaint to work while still having control over separate brick color. Having (small) and clear goals for each night is paying off :smile:  NN!

• Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Took my time reworking the bricks a couple times, happy enough to start sculpting the door frame now.