Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: Texturing Continuity

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
This is a must !

I am doing some modular work at the moment and Quixel sucks at this because the re-importer does not have a re-import mesh option. This imho has been overlooked as 99% of the tutorials are based on hero pieces. For Quixel to be a complete production texturing workflow all that is needed is that the re-importer can also re-import any mesh.

For example I have a straight segment of a modular tunnel:

and a bent segment:

The texture on the straight segment must be the same or it renders the workflow useless:

Of course I could just combine both models into one FBX file but you still have the same issue. Texturing continuity can easily be achieved with color ID maps and re-importing the mesh.  This is one side of Quixel that puts people off buying it when compared to substance for instance.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The Suite has a reimport feature for meshes:

The reimporter does not, however, because it's designed to reimport your input maps, as alluded to by the on-hover text for that feature. :smile: Use the Reimport Mesh feature and then use the texture reimporter afterward if any adjustments are needed for the input maps.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Tried that but it does not function.

straight segment textured:

Reimport the bent mesh:

The result after reimporting the maps for the bent segment:

The new color ID map does not function after I reimport it, the color ID's for the tunnel walls, floors, bolts are the same as the first model but baked uniquely for the bent mesh.

That's why the mesh needs to be reimported with the new maps, having to setup materials for each modular part is not a logical workflow if you take into account the amount of adjustments made to the original. Texturing continuity is imperative for level design. 

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I think the baker is causing the reimport issues:

It freezes at 50% until I close it.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Maps are not being renamed below is what I get after I reimport the maps:

The maps have changed but the map names are the same as the original project:

So I changed the name of the FBX file to same as the original but the color ID map is black.

This issue is definitely not solved !

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    The only solution for this is to save a Smart Material from the active layers or group, thankfully the color ID's remain intact. Any custom layers will not be added in the smart material.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Rename your object's mesh group(s) to match the original name(s) that were loaded into the project. 3DO assigns materials to mesh groups, which is why your mesh was blank upon loading. If your dDo *.PSDs are prefixed with Object001, then your mesh group when reimported should always match that name.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    That does not work "So I changed the name of the FBX file to same as the original but the color ID map is black"
    The best solution to this is what I described above with saving a Smart Material, it works flawlessly and keeps the workflow simple.
    I also have the added bonus of all those custom materials at my disposal along the way  B)

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Mesh groups and filenames are two different things. You can have a file called Object001 and a mesh group called Object001, but the only thing that the Suite is concerned with is the mesh group name - the name of the mesh itself. Using a Smart Material does indeed work well, but you can always reimport meshes at any time so long as the mesh group name matches the prefix of the dDo *.PSDs. :smile: