Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viking hall [UE4 environment]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
I have started working on my first environment piece. It will be based on this piece of concept art:

This is my blockout so far. I need to work on the roof a lot more as I think its a bit off at the moment. I am having some trouble getting the scale of the furniture correct, I think it looks a little large. 

I have started working on my first prop. I am currently working on a base version of the shields on the wall. I will be creating some painted variations that are seen in the concept art. 

It still needs a lot of refinement, but its getting there.

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a painted version

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    A solid start. I kind of want that shield to be rounded and have less obvious straight edges. Otherwise, keep it going. The texturing on it looks great, a very strong impression of recently painted wood.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A solid start. I kind of want that shield to be rounded and have less obvious straight edges. Otherwise, keep it going. The texturing on it looks great, a very strong impression of recently painted wood.
    Thanks, do you mean the number of edges on the outer side of the shield? I would have used a bit more tris but I want to try and keeps things fairly optimised. Its a fairly minor prop that is only seen from a distance so the edges shouldn't be too noticeable. Wireframe if you are interested:

Got any crits on the block out so far, like proportions? 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Think the paint looks strange, the fact that it is very clean works against the chipped edges and makes it look inconsistent to me. The super rusty rim also looks strange when you have the very clean metal part in the center.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    I just read it as a sloppy and quick paintjob @Maxilator but the rust does seem a bit clashing with that newness.

Either way @Doxturtle you can ask yourself "what platform am I building for?" If it's for mobile then that polycount is fine (or even a bit too much) but if you're building for consoles/Pc you could increase the outer edge count with out hurting anything.
  • Method_to_Madness
    Maxilator said:
    Think the paint looks strange, the fact that it is very clean works against the chipped edges and makes it look inconsistent to me. The super rusty rim also looks strange when you have the very clean metal part in the center.
    yup ... I agree
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The outer edge was supposed to be leather maybe its not reading properly. With the paint I was trying to make the edges look like brush strokes, not areas where it had chipped, I think you are probably right about it looking too clean, I might need to add a bit of variation to the paint so some areas look grimier.