Home Marmoset

Strange mesh smoothing on high poly meshes

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hey guys, i have been a marmoset user for a long time. Since i updated my video card (from a 650 ti) some months ago i have been seeing this errors on high poly meshes. It looks like some kind of smoothing error or artifact.
This screenshot was taken using the rifle high poly render example. The artifacts usually show less on flat faces, but can be really heavy on curved faces
Im on a r9 390 and using the 15.12 drivers. I have tried different driver versions but they all do the same thing. 
Is there a solution to this or is it because of AMD drivers?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a little hard to tell what the problem here is, could you highlight it? I'm seeing some weirdness on the rail and maybe some odd shading on the slope coming down from the rail as well. Is that what you mean?

We do have a known issue with high poly meshes, sometimes sections of the mesh will appear to have slightly messed up normals. Unfortunately, there is no work around at this time (we haven't been able to track down exactly what causes it).

Some shot-in-the-dark stuff you can try:
    1. If using OBJ from max, make sure to enable normals in the export box
    2. If using OBJ, try FBX, if FBX, try obj - depending on the exact version of the exporter you're using, strange things might happen
    3. If using Max, reset xform
    4. In Toolbag 2, try cycling through the various tangent space options in the mesh properties

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Yeah, its mostly like fucked up normals on specific parts of the mesh.
    I actually never noticed this issue until i upgraded to this amd card, so i thought it was gpu related.
    I will have to try different settings and see how it goes. 
    Thanks Joe!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, can you send me this scene so we can file it in our bug system? Thanks!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    The scene is actually the rifle high poly render scene you did :smile: 
    Here goes: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/m7content.zip