Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

So i did the remodeeling of the case as the first ones(the one in the green) i having a real hard it

polycounter lvl 3

Replies

• kanu0009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanu0009 polycounter lvl 3
    My instructor said that it doesn't;t feel any good.So i need help on how can i  improve on it and what should i keep in mind while modelling.The assignment was to create a briefcase and i did a virus bomb case but didn't went well.
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Kanu0009,

If this is the first thing you do in 3ds max, it looks quite good to me tbh (at least compared to the crap I used to do lol).
    About how can you improve it, you need to know or at least tell us what are your references and what is you art style. Basically how do you want it to look like. Right now it looks very stylized, if that is what you are trying to achive, you are on the right track (to me it looks like the  style of the clone wars animation tv show). Maybe you can add some wearness.
    I would tweak the colour palette tbh, try to put a render into photoshop and change the colours there, try to get different versions of your case and choose which one do you prefer. I don't like the colour of the cage itself, it is very pale. I would make it darker... If this some kind of destruction hazardous virus device, it doesnt look like it is dangerous at all, maybe use a different colour palette :D
  • DanielPeres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielPeres polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with N4UJ! For your first model it does look really nice, my models were very bad in the beginning so nothing to point out in the model section since the only thing you need is to practice and practice and practice. What is pushing your model back is the colors and materials. If you wanted something more realistic there is something that you defenintly need to work, the material definition, if you search for here or in google you will get some good tips and tricks in the different texturing pipelines so that might be a good thing to look for. Also, as N4UJ said, try to tweak the color palette and make it look more dangerous and with that new color palette it will start looking better right away. Good luck and keep us updated :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    LOL, what Shinigami said! haha.  Seriously, what the hell?  How much you pay for that college?  "it doesn't look good".  You should tell him to elaborate and if he is incapable of doing that I don't think he's fit to be a teacher.  Id say the stuff you have inside could use further reference.  It doesn't look like any kind of mechanism that would actually work in real life or have a purpose.  The other thing is the smoothing.  I would get some ref for that and try to accomplish some nice subtle smooth transitions on those edges.  It looks like hard plastic, but in yours its blocky or flat out has smoothing errors in places.  But like the others have said, its very good for your first model, I'm surprised you made something so detailed with your first attempt.  Nice work!

[edit] I assume you arn't worried about material definition since it looks like you just have standard diffuse materials applied without any real tweaking or work on the lighting.  So I didn't comment on that, but yea, if you do need to have this textured certainly there is a lot that can be done.  I imagine there is a lot you have to learn about in that part of the pipeline so I wouldn't worry too much about it for now personally.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Shinigami said:
    shouldnt your proffessor be giving you advice? What a guy lol. I think it looks good for a start You have a lot of blockish shapes. Maybe give them more attractivness?
    That´s exaaaclty what I thought... Anyway, your model is NOT bad, especially not for a first one! Keep adding details (maybe just in the texture would be enough). Get this model in a nice renderer and it will look way better : )
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    The shape is fine so it's obviously something to do with the optimization, materials or you deviated from the brief too much.
  • kanu0009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the reply. @n4uj Yes I'm more onto stylizing  and i was try to make a virus bomb case.I didn't gather enough references and i think that my problem too.I haven't texture it yet,its just the material tweak on it.
    @NUKAKOLA7- Yes the texturing is pending,its just the material on it.

@shinigami - Hahaha.No he give advice but  it was just me who wanted critique on this.

@BRADMYERSS82 - That's exactly what my instructor said about the mechanism inside that it doesn't look realistic and i need to work on that.

@C86G - Thank you and yes i will try to get something out it from the textures hopefully.
  • kanu0009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.For texturing what would be the recommendation.Substance painter or quixel  suite.

• n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    kanu0009 said:
    Hi guys.For texturing what would be the recommendation.Substance painter or quixel  suite.

That depends completelly in what are you capable of and the licenses you have. Both are great, imo nDo and photoshop are superfast, you don't even need the rest of the quixel suite. Substance Painter is becoming more and more popular and it seems to give really good results.
    For the sake of this project I would use nDo and photoshop, but maybe you find painter far more interesting! Try both if you have the time!
  • keket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keket polycounter lvl 2
    Learn substance if you can, its cheapish for a monthly subscription and the things you can do with it are amazing, though I agree with what @n4uj said about just doing nDo and photoshop for this particular project.

Also good work on the model man, the only thing I can say is that it looks a little too organised.
  • A_Clockwork_Bug
    I'd say that a part of the problem is the wires look too perfect. They come out in perfect arcs without twists or kinks in them, it makes them look odd.
  • kanu0009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i re did the whole case as i was having a real trouble in optimizing it from high poly to low poly and do the uv map on it.So i did the second case the first three images after the green one and again i ran into optimizing problem because whenever i brought the optimized mesh into painter i could see i wasn't proper.So i really need help on that and then now the last image is the case I'm doing now keeping things clean and simple.