Home Adobe Substance

Painter: Saving causes memory usage spike, stops responding

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Potatojim polycounter lvl 2
Been having a consistent issue while trying to save in Substance Painter.
While in the process of saving, the program will begin using up to 95% of my PC's available memory (12 gigs total) causing the "(Not Responding)" message to appear in the window. Painter sometimes recovers from this and completes the save then reduces its memory usage to a normal amount, other times it remains stuck forcing me to force quit the process causing me to lose work.

Any help with fixing this or an explaination as to why it is happening will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    How big is your project file ? How many texture sets do you have and at which resolution are they ? 4K texture sets can consume quite a lot of ram.
  • Potatojim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potatojim polycounter lvl 2
    I've found a solution to my problem.
    I initially exported my workable obj from several submeshes in Maya. Combining the meshes and reexporting has made saving in Painter possible again, though it still pauses for a moment in the "Not Responding" state. I am using 9 2k texture sets, which sounds like it could be a contributing factor, but I like being able to hide parts of my project using the solo mode and don't know of another way to hide meshes in the workspace.