Home General Discussion

What should I choose as a 3d character artist.

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Biqz greentooth
Hello guys.
To start with. I dropped my university (neither fine arts, nor gameart) because of my passion of creating 3d stuff and lack of the time for a job.

But i have an opportunity to take a courses. I've already tried to go to both of academic painting and academic sculpture for 2 months, but I cant handle that pressure of job and 2 types of courses at the same time, because i have no time to rest.

So, i wondering what would give more results and advantages for me as a 3d character artist - Academic sculpture or Academic Drawing.

The first thought are - Academic drawing gave me more understanding for colors and analysis of the form.
Sculpture gives me enough though, but i feel like the theory basis are more smoothed, and when i using clay - it feels like forever to do some easy stuff that more likely would took a few hours in digital sculpting. And sculpture learning is more about copying someone else work.

What do you think?

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses? when I came out of university I didnt understand colour theory very well that was one of my weaknesses and that had a huge impact on the quality of my art, its taken me many years to get a good eye for colour. So for me doing more colour based courses would have helped me to level up quicker haha. So what do you struggle with? 
  • Biqz
    Offline / Send Message
    Biqz greentooth
    Ged said:
    What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses? when I came out of university I didnt understand colour theory very well that was one of my weaknesses and that had a huge impact on the quality of my art, its taken me many years to get a good eye for colour. So for me doing more colour based courses would have helped me to level up quicker haha. So what do you struggle with? 
    Thank you for your reply, mate!

I feel like i need to improve it all. The question is not about something specific, but more likely about what will speedup my progress at all of them :)

I can't say that i struggle with something too much, but I think, that the weakest part of mine is the color/texturing of the characters skin, i can feel that sometimes my sculpts are nice enough, but the bad color can totally kill all invested time.

• Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    At school I had both sculpture and drawing lessons. While traditional sculpting is fun, I never felt like I learned as much about anatomy as I did when drawing. When sculpting you spend so much time to do so little, however when drawing you can accomplish so much in just one hour. So my advice would be to take the drawing lessons.

• Biqz
    Offline / Send Message
    Biqz greentooth
    Popol said:
    At school I had both sculpture and drawing lessons. While traditional sculpting is fun, I never felt like I learned as much about anatomy as I did when drawing. When sculpting you spend so much time to do so little, however when drawing you can accomplish so much in just one hour. So my advice would be to take the drawing lessons.

Whoa, this is a nice opinion , I had same feeling while taking them both.
    Thank you.
  • Will_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    I always see the fundementals stressed on here and for me at least, knowing perspective at a 2D level and being able to construct simple shapes into more complex ones has helped. I just started learning 3ds max and those 2D fundementals really let me see things differently with now 3D translating back into my 2D work. I think you should look up some curriculums that schools have and try to model your training towards that and give yourself some direction. It's usually stuff like perspective, figure drawing, and viscom techniques. There's plenty of books and online resources out there that you can. Best of luck.
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Drawing is an invaluable tool even if you can't complete production level paiting. Just sketching out ideas and being able to communicate through sketch. 

Drawing taught me how to balance an object, how to give it direction, how to do composition, colour theory, material behaviour, light behaviour and that's from a 12 month course.

Also being able to sketch  (even just 'doodles') is a really good way to document your ideas.
  • Biqz
    Offline / Send Message
    Biqz greentooth
    Bletzkarn said:
    Drawing is an invaluable tool even if you can't complete production level paiting. Just sketching out ideas and being able to communicate through sketch. 

Drawing taught me how to balance an object, how to give it direction, how to do composition, colour theory, material behaviour, light behaviour and that's from a 12 month course.

Also being able to sketch  (even just 'doodles') is a really good way to document your ideas.
    Huge thanks.