Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Forest Creature

noob_
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
noob_ polycounter lvl 2
Whats up guys. My beast will be some sort of forest creature.
I already started messing around a bit.
I think i'll go with the lower body of a goat and maybe some funky horns going on.

Beast is obviously an outcast because of his looks, humans fear the forest yada yada.
I plan to pose him kneeling and having a butterfly or so on his hand, admiring it (to show how sweet he actually is).

Current: 

some inspiration 

block/possible pose

Replies

• noob_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noob_ polycounter lvl 2
  • noob_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noob_ polycounter lvl 2

Lips are pretty annoying. have to see what i'll do with them
  • beastypet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beastypet polycounter lvl 5
    nice anatomy start

A tip for the lips: start with the upper lip, its like a hat for the lower lip. or you could make his bottom lip lalot bigger and not have an upper lip. 
    also think of a face as a cilinder, the cheeks are pushed in more to the back compared tot he lip/chin.

and be sure to check out the zbro matcaps on google. they are the prettyest and most accurate for normal maps. :)
  • noob_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noob_ polycounter lvl 2
    beastypet said:
    nice anatomy start

A tip for the lips: start with the upper lip, its like a hat for the lower lip. or you could make his bottom lip lalot bigger and not have an upper lip. 
    also think of a face as a cilinder, the cheeks are pushed in more to the back compared tot he lip/chin.

and be sure to check out the zbro matcaps on google. they are the prettyest and most accurate for normal maps. :)
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestion dude, I appreciate it  :)
  • noob_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noob_ polycounter lvl 2
    Did some horn stuff, made him a little bit chubbier, and did a little bit of face/eye stuff

Next i'll either give him some hair or start refining his legs and maybe start with some of the armor/clothing pieces
  • noob_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noob_ polycounter lvl 2
    Whats up.. Little update. Posed him,gave him some rag and added butterfly placeholder.
    Still need to fix some of the back/shoulder anatomy (it looks really terrible right now) aswell as do something with the legs.
    Also i'll have to take a look at how to make proper insect wings for the butterfly.

Couple more screens

(possible beauty shot camera angle?) 

Let me know what you think about the pose/silhoutte and general impression, crits appreciated.
  • Oqtopus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • meletis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking this! One of the few concepts I've seen that I could believe Belle falling in love with him.  ;)
  • noob_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noob_ polycounter lvl 2
    Whats up. Little update. I feel like i'm progressing very slowly right now. I had and still have alot of trouble with the shoulder/back area and i'm still trying to find the form i like. He's a little bulkier than before right now. Minor tinkering with the hooves aswell. Also I added some arrows angry townspeople shot at our forest creature or something like that. :smiley: 

i guess im relatively okay with how the back turned out but something about the shoulders still bugs me idk..