Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Earth Golem - Jordz

Jordz
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jordz polycounter lvl 8
This is a great competition idea can't wait to see the different takes on the beast.
My take is going to be some sort of earth/nature golem, or elemental, who only has the companionship of  a lost girl. 

(Latest Image)

Made a quick mood board and going to start concepting.

More to come

Replies

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Working some concepts up to get started i'm leaning towards no. 4 I'm liking the idea of the beauty sort of living on the beast. I'm going to block out no 4 see how it looks 3d.

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Got into ZBrush and started blocking in the rocky forms, wanted to get this finalised before adding in the tree elelment.

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Decided to take a step back and give the golem a bit of a redesign, I felt that the one I originally went with just doesn't cut it. So here is a new design which ill start blocking out:

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    So I worked on the new design and got a block out together, decided to play with the idea of the muscle groups showing more instead of general rock. I also changed the legs from stumps to actual legs which I think works a lot better.

Feedback welcome
  • Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Made a paint over to show where the tree comes into it as well as the pattern details on the fist and shoulder.

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Using ZSpheres I got the basic shape of the tree, I'm planning on using planes for the smaller branches with the leaves on.

• Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice to see all the frequent updates :)
    Honestly, I preferred the older design versions you had. The ones with a huge boulder on one arm, and tiny legs. Looked really cool, I think.
    For me, some of that is now lost. Purely my taste though, I dont let it taint you if you feel this direction is stronger :)
    You have patterns on the shoulder and on the arm. Perhaps they could be the same kind of pattern, or the same shape language, to kinda bring it together? :)
    Looking forward to seeing where this goes - I like rock golems :p
  • Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Spoon thanks for your feedback :smile: 
    I changed the design because I just wasn't happy with it as it just felt like a background prop. I didn't feel like it was strong enough as a character, a similar reason why I went away from stumpy legs, I think they look good in the concept but while sculpting I just didn't feel it. I was thinking of the idea to enlarge his right arm. 
    I wanted his origin to be Celtic and the shoulder and fist are both Celtic patterns but I made a paintover (a quick paint over) and were you thinking something more like this?

• Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah exactly, I think it makes it look more coherent. What do you think?
  • Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    ill give it a go when I get round to sculpting it :smiley: 
  • TheChallenger
    Hi Jordz, nice GoIem. I think that since he is made of stones he should articulate some how so he can move around. For that is not enough to shape the stone as if they had muscles. You need to separate the geometry in the articulations so they are individual pieces. 

And sorry but i have to agree with a previous comment about the initial version being good already. I think you taked out the originality you had and now the proportions are just those of a human. Also the anatomy is too humanoid. If you are making an earth golem i think you can take the opportunity to go as wild as you want and make something more creative (wihch you did before at some extent).

Hope that helps!

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Thechallenger thank you for your feedback. From both yours and Spoon's feedback I went and re-jigged the Golem somewhat, I tried to stay close to the older concepts but combine it with the new. I also replaced the head which I wanted to do I felt the old one has a 'dumb' kinda look to it. Rough block in shape of the new Golem. 

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    I still wanted to add the tree so coming back I did a paint over with the tree and little scribbles on the arm.

• TheChallenger
    great, imo is looking a lot better and interesting this way.

More suggestions...

I think that you need to counter balance the weight a little. the hip should have the opposite angle to the shoulder line. Also maybe a little difference between the leg's size can work very weel, again, the oposite of the other side...so in this case his right leg should be bigger than his left.

For your concept i think you should avoid any symmetry. About the stone texture i think is just a guide right now, but in case is not i would add variety both in the model and in the texture....parts with soil, different rocks and things you find in nature you may see fit.

But the most important thing is that you should break the model in parts and let some space between those parts to articulate...imagine that some one has to rigg it for a game or movie...how should he move?

Just my opinion! Keep the good work!
  • Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Thechallenger thanks again for your feedback its a big help :smile: 

Before I red your post I worked on the detailing on the arms but then I played a bit with the hip getting that counter balance.
    Because of this golem's origins I was planning on making the textures similar to the rocks found in countryside areas around the British isles especially around stone circle sites, so like limestone and sandstone with all the grime like green to the rock along with lichens to give the rock some unique detailing.

• Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Got the basic shape of the tree and also tried to think about the articulation of the legs and the arm giving them fold grooves.

• Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I think this is much stronger than the earlier version you had :) Good job on that!