Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Tech help (unity), Ladder climbing

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
G'day
I've got a bit of a problem getting my ladder climb animations to sync with an actual ladder ingame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5hoErsu6Q

I'm moving the root to always stay under the bottom foot.
I had it move up into the pelvis before, but decided to try the foot instead, to keep the capsule collider where it should be - for triggers later, getting off the ladder..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JxkbFROdyU

What I am NOT doing ingame atm is snapping the character to a set point at the ladder, I've just placed the ladder somewhere where I think it looks good enough for now. But the animation offsets more and more the further you climb up and down.

I'm wondering if it would have to do with the way I've solved the root or if there is a secret here I don't know about..

Thanks!

Replies

• Flynny
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Ladders are tricky, is your collider pushing your character/interfering?

Have you loaded the fbx of your character animation back into a maya scene with the exact ladder to double check?
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    I turn off the character controller (the only collider on the character other than the hair stuff, which isn't on the same layer as the character/animations) so I don't think it's pushing me anywhere, it's only ever used to collide with walls and gravity, the movement is handled in animation.

I haven't double checked with the ladder after exporting, but I'm using the same ladder in motion builder as well as in unity :D

I don't know..
    I'll place the character on the exact spot I want her and have her lookat the ladder- like I do with door and other interact-animations..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Wt6Gvk6EU&feature=youtu.be&t=18

hmm
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I think by not snapping the character to the point, you are bound to get some sort of offset, as eyeballing it isn't going to give you an exact result, which in turn is what you are looking for.  It would make sense that over time the offset of the hands would grow, as the offset is also growing over time the more you climb the ladder. 

As far as a solution, I assume you could either ensure that when the character gets to the ladder, that the root will always be at an expected position as it lines up to the ladder, or try to get together an IK solution that will allow the hands and arms to have a bit of play when they are grasping at the rungs. 

• thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message

(second time posting)

I think the problem might have been with the ladder mesh from the get go..

I wrote a long text about it earlier, but now I'll just say sorry to bother you all with this shit, thank you both for taking the time to give your thoughts about the matter!
    I've gone back and redone the ladder, the animations get a bit messy when just trying to quickly fix them, so I might redo them all... argh

thanks again for taking the time with this silly problem of mine! :)