Home General Discussion

Google's vision for next-gen gaming

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is cool, thanks for posting the link. However a little commentary from you about the link would be nice. When an OP provides some information and opinions, this stimulates a conversation. Dropping something without context puts the burden on everyone else to get a conversation going. A little investment would go a long way I think.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Looks like Google is focusing on AI that will talk to you in an intelligent way once its finished giving you directions, emails, images and kittens on Youtube and so on. Integrating day to day life with gamification sounds like the way to go? Also looks like he shy's away from VR but is much more down with augmented/virtual reality which I have to admit is right up my street.

If this sort of subject floats your boat and if you have any ideas for future software then there is a job going as a researcher at the G+VERL lab (37 hours per week, £31,656 - $45,007)  more information here - Games and Visual Effects Research Lab (G+VERL)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Lol. 

I can't wait for the day of good voice control, especially for driving apps. Temperature controls, radio/music, asking for driving directions, etc. This and a good heads-up display would be great, as long as its designed well.

A HUD could theoretically show me Tron-like outlines for approaching potholes or other obstacles, especially at night, in the rain, etc.

Can't wait for AR like Hiro had in Snow Crash in his airport apartment.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Can't wait for AR like Hiro had in Snow Crash in his airport apartment.
    Rhetorical question, would there still be use for lowpoly, uv maps, normal maps when (and IF) the next standard becomes: 4-8K texture res for gameplay on HDR monitors?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that depends on what the consumers want. People are still buying the occasional 2D pixelart game even though the tech has long since moved on.

I think the majority of games are either handpainted style or arcadey realism, and I don't see that changing much, regardless of the tech behind it. It'll just get clearer and sharper.

Who knows? Just have to keep learning and improving if you want to stay in this field.