Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Programmers 3d Journey - please help

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I have been super busy with school lately, but I just graduated with my A.S. in Computer Science.  In the fall, I will begin work on my bachelors, but until then, I have an 8-5 job.  I want to spend some of my free time getting back into 3d, so I would really appreciate any comments or critique you guys could give me.  

This is a promo poster for a local eSports team I did, let me know what you guys think :D

I also have a sci-fi style pistol I am working on, I would really appreciate any comments before I go on to texturing.

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Hey,
    the upper Part of the Pistol looks like a HighPoly with hard edges. The Magazine looks LowPoly.
    So first make your Highpoly and smooth your edges. The smoother the HighPoly is, the more Normal pixel information you will get on your lowpoly bake.
    So you will have nice reflections.  Then Bake it down to your LowPoly and texture it :)
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pistol was done completely in high poly and then baked down.

• programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A supermutant sculpt for a fallout 4 poster style picture, I would really appreciate appreciate any comments or critique.

Thanks guys :smiley: 
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the deathclaw, i would really appreciate crits :)

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Your organic sculpts have arbitrary 'dam standard' scratches everywhere that mostly don't really make sense or serve a purpose. I assume some of them are supposed to be scars. If so, you should add more detailing to them so they can be identified as such.

Wrinkling follows a pattern/structure and shouldn't just be randomly carved in. As do pores. Have a look at some really high res face refs and you'll appreciate the incredible detail at the skin micro level.

It's also important to blend between your primary/secondary forms to create more believability. Scratches on the surface casually etched in just look like what they are.
  • programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have been busy with other things for a really long time, but I am starting to get back into the swing of things by working on a full character as most of the characters in my portfolio are very old.

Please let me know what you think!  :)

• programmer23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumping for critique