Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sawed Off Shotgun -- Where To Go From Here?

allengingrich
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
This is probably the best weapon I've made so far, but I've ran out of details to add. My references don't have much else themselves -- should I proceed to texturing, or is there anything else I can do to vary it a bit?

Thanks!

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    What shotgun are you modeling?

It appears to be a Remington 870. If so, you really need to work on the receiver and pump. The receiver looks way too block like, the ejection port looks severely off, and the pump also looks odd.

Before you look to add more to the model nail the gun. Look at references, look at YouTube videos of people shooting the gun, people field dressing the gun, and other artist's attempt at recreating the 3D version of the shotgun.

Hope that helps.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
    This definitely resembles a shortened Remington 870. This shotgun doesn't have that many parts and it's fair to say you've got the basic idea; it looks fairly accurate. I'd like to see some wireframes though so I can judge the topology a little better.

Best way to add variation is in your textures. Gather a load of reference images, watch Youtube videos, check on the exact variant of shotgun as Remington have loads (i.e. Express Magnum, Police Magnum etc.) for accuracy.

I happen to have a Marine Magnum; it has a thread of it's own: http://polycount.com/discussion/164272/remington-870-marine-magnum#latest

Otherwise, not a bad start. Keep going!
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouragement and critiques guys. Actually, it's based on a Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun. My references were really bad (I found out), so I've made a bunch of modifications. Totally agree about the ejection port, too -- that was the weakest part. How's this?

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its getting better, but you still need to focus on the real life version's receiver and overall form. The top sides of the receiver is way too angled, it needs to be more sloped/rounded. Also, do not forget to model the safety switch on the top of the receiver and the rail mounting area as well. The ejection port is still off but much closer to real life. Fix the receiver first and we can move on to the other areas.

Watch videos of the gun:
    https://youtu.be/Z3m-WNk44hI?t=1m29s

https://youtu.be/4nf7Cpy1rtQ?t=1m26s

• allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper said:
    Its getting better, but you still need to focus on the real life version's receiver and overall form. The top sides of the receiver is way too angled, it needs to be more sloped/rounded. Also, do not forget to model the safety switch on the top of the receiver and the rail mounting area as well. The ejection port is still off but much closer to real life. Fix the receiver first and we can move on to the other areas.

Watch videos of the gun:
    https://youtu.be/Z3m-WNk44hI?t=1m29s

https://youtu.be/4nf7Cpy1rtQ?t=1m26s

Thank you, I will make adjustments. I see what you mean about the receiver now.

Also, for the ejection port, I made a beveled edge cube then did a boolean operation into the receiver. Would you accomplish that a different way?
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Booleans have their uses however I would not use that operation in this instance.

I would model the receiver to match the real life equivalent then add supporting geometry/edges to where the ejection port would be and extrude inwards. If the extrusion is not perfect from here I would adjust the geo to match. I would have the ejection slide as a floating mesh considering that is a separate piece on the actual gun. Lastly make final touches to ensure every aspect is as accurate as possible.
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your help.

I redid the receiver and I think I've captured the form better per your suggestions. I also redid the receiver ejection port. I modeled the shape, smoothed it, then modified the geometry to make the port, then extruded in and messed with some verts manually. I like the result much better -- much cleaner over all. Also, how's my topo? I'm very pleased with it, but would love your opinions, too.

How does this look? I'm going to move on to texturing now, as I'm growing a little bored of this project (but I've learned SO MUCH from it). To low poly this, do I just take the high poly and remove verts/edges, then bake?

Thanks again for everything!
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is this project going?
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper said:
    How is this project going?
    Finally got around to texturing it. Whattya think? :)

• ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
    Nice, I would add less scratches on the body but more marked like in the image posted before

and maybe adding more brownish dust.

You can also add some more detail in the normal map ( like the grip on the handle).

Hope to be of help.