Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Looking for help designing characters and environments for a 2D Earthboundish game

Hello!

I am working on a bunch of 2D art for an RPG I have been tossing around in my head for a few years.  Right now, I'm just trying to get the ideas out of my head and on paper.

B.E.L.L.E is the name of the game, and it follows the adventure of a boy named Skip who gets involved in a galactic conflict between a powerful alien overlord and a race of aliens, the Boogle, that manage to escape his control.  Throughout his quest, Skip will meet a number of different aliens from a variety of worlds and learn the secrets of the universe.  Skip's decisions throughout the game will determine the fate of the Boogle race, as well as that of the Earth itself.

I'm looking for somebody (or some people) who are intrigued by the idea of this game and might want to help me draw some characters or maybe help flesh out some of these ideas.  A drawing buddy.  Maybe an art friend.  Attached to this post are some of my character drawings that I made (and some pixel stuff just for the heck of it).

I have very little experience asking for this kind of support, so please forgive me if I didn't include enough information.  Thanks for reading!

Replies

• RobotRumpShaker
    Here's some updated art.  I'm trying to post something on my Facebook every Wednesday (https://www.facebook.com/Seagulldance/)

Still looking for an art friend or an art partner.  An Artner?

• RobotRumpShaker
    I have received some interest from composers, as well as a programmer.  I had to write up a summary to some questions they all had, and figured it might behoove me to post the information from my responses.  Right now, I am primarily looking for 2D artists/animators (a 2D background artist would be the most amazing thing ever), as well as anybody experienced in Unity. 

Here's the info:

About me: I'm a 30 something who works in special education. I have wanted to make an Earthboundy RPG for a very long time, and have had bits and pieces of a story for such a game for even longer. The recent success of another game, Undertale, inspired me to finally pull the trigger and try to actually make things happen. Right now, I am the team. Things are super early in production, and I'm just now trying gauge interest from people who might want to help.  I myself am one of those "jack of all trades, master of some" guys.  I'm learning Unity and C#, and am fairly proficient in 2d animation.  I also have slight experience in photoshop and 3D Studio Max.  Hopefully, the skills that I use in my profession will help me organize things and coordinate the development of this project.

About the Project: B.E.L.L.E is a story about an alien race that escapes from an oppressive space overlord, knowing that their planet will not survive his next assault. They pack everything up into a series of large ships (think Noah's ark in space) and blast off for Earth. There's a reason why they chose this planet, and all of that is explained and explored throughout the story. As with 99% of RPGs, things don't go as planned and the adventure begins!

My Plan: Right now, my plan is to make a demo. I have pretty much finalized the script/content, and am in the process of learning Unity and figuring out how that is going to work. I have the story planned out for a full game with a branching storyline and multiple endings, but am just focusing on the demo until things get moving. The last thing I want to do is start planning for this huge monstrosity of a game only to burn out/fail because I bit off more than I can chew.

In terms of the demo: There are lots of cool opportunities for comedy and feelings in what I have planned for the demo. It consists of a tutorial where Skip (the protagonist) sets up camp and goes fishing with his dad.  Ships crash into the planet, and Skip falls into a ravine that quickly becomes surrounded by flames as the nearby forest catches fire.  It is here that he meets the first alien characters. Sad stuff happens. Things explode! Its family fun!

Its going to be a long haul, but it should be fun! Hopefully this is enough information for now. I'd be happy to answer any and all questions you might have.