Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[COMPLETED] Female Fighter

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
dGreenberg polycounter
Hey guys! I wanted to start in on a character based on Yongsub Noh's concept art. 

My goal is to try and get the character modeled out, textured, and posed in the next 3 weeks, so I'll definitely be pushing myself to get this modeled out quickly.

Something I didn't noticed until I started in on the material breakdown was that the character has armored nipple covers, and now I can't un-see them. I'll have to see if it's drawing too much focus when modeled out (or if I can pull it off).  

At this early stage, I'm still just trying to get some proportions and anatomy working in my favor (from my measurements, I think this character is around 7 heads tall), but I still have a lot of tweaking to do before I'm comfortable with moving forward. 

If anyone could provide any thoughts or suggestions on the anatomy or proportions in the meantime, it would be fantastic! I'll be sure to update as I move forward.

Replies

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Time for an anatomy-fix-update! It still needs some attention, but I'm a little behind on my progress, so I really need to get things rolling.

I've started working on the face, and while it currently looks a bit like some androgynous grandma, I'm hoping that will change as I give it some of the ol' elbow grease.

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Here comes some updates! I'm really far behind from where I want to be, but I've been working on the proportions and trying to flesh the face out bit by bit. I still need to do a lot of detailing and adding of the dangle-y parts.

Hopefully the high poly will be done in the next few days. I probably should have gone for a character that had fewer tidbits... Hope they don't bite me during the rigging process.

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    More high poly updates. I need to make better use of the time that I have, so I'll be doing the shoulder pieces in Maya and detail them back in Zbrush, once I have the proper shape. 

• KingKellogg
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    The metal nipples...why?...

As for your model, it is looking good though the nose bridge is a bit large.
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    That exactly what I've been asking myself, Kingkellog. At the end of the modeling process, I think I'm at the point where I can say that I'm better off without them on the model. As per your suggestion, I've also tried shrinking the nose bridge width a little (it might need a little more, but I'll see what textures do for it). Thanks for the suggestion!

Quick update while I'm baking out maps, but I've retopologized everything and unwrapped it to get ready for them oh-so-difficult textures. 

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Final post for the warrior girl. Unfortunately I ran out of steam for this character, so I don't know if I'll get back to pushing it some more and reworking some textures, or just take the knowledge that I gained from this and move on (probably the later of the two). It was my first attempt at bringing something into Unreal, so I wanted to post the latest posed / textured / lit version. 

I think moving forward I'll probably just start a sketchbook for my projects. It'll be easier for me to track and take up less room on the forums. Here are the texturemaps if anyone is curious (they need work). I really need to up my game with a thickness / subdermal map for future skin texturing.

• AgelosAp
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    I know what you meandGreenberg said:
    Final post for the warrior girl. Unfortunately I ran out of steam for this character..
    I know what you mean, it's a good choice to move on sometimes you've taken enough from a project.
    Anyway just wanted to give you a couple of points to maybe help on your next project:
    -The skin looks very mat, and there is no visible anatomy, I mean she should have some forms going on on her upper chest area, like collarbones etc. even subtle.
    -The damage on the armor seems often randomly put. You have some dirt around hinges and cuts but on other spots you 've put color variation and some damage in the middle of a "valley" on the armor which looks out of place.
    Keep it up, it certainly looks like you got some good qualities, practice practice practice!
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Thanks Firith! Those are all really great points. I really want to keep pushing my knowledge of anatomy, and my texture work in general definitely needs attention, so it's all well received. I'll keep pushing to improve in future projects, and thanks for the encouragement!