Home Adobe Substance

Smart materials across diferent TextureSets

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
Hi!

Is it possible to work on smart materials that auto update between different textures sets?
I am doing a set for Dota, containing 5 different models, each with a different texture set. Is it possible that I set for example a gold material on all the meshes and updating one could update all?
in another approach, is it possible to stack all the models on the same texture set but each one using a different UV space?

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Unfortunately having materials and smart materials "instances" is not possible at the moment but we have plans to do something in that area.
    The only solution right now will be to delete and replace the smart material in your other texture sets.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply Jerc
    Something that could link between different texture sets would be great. Anyways, Substance is working really well for Dota, thanks for the update
    the shader is working great, just the tint specular by base color that is inverted and the metallic seams to be less shiny
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Oh good to know, I'll make sure we fix that.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    not your fault, is also wrong on Dota shader documentation
    black means using the base color to tint the specular
    white means using the specular color for the the specular
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    I too would love to have basically what Tvidotto mentioned, but wanted to add that it would be awesome to have som kind of automated batch functionality. It would really be a killer feature to be able to tweak something like an armor smart material and then automatically re-export a whole set of RTS vehicle textures from a project that use the same smart material. It might make sense to introduce something like a "workspace" that can hold several projects and allows to either make a copy of a material that is local to the workspace or link an instance from the normal library that we have right now. Just a thought. I'm sure you guys will come up with an even better solution!