Home General Discussion

buying a used or new cintiq, interested in peoples thoughts?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
I'm in the market for a cintiq for my desktop, I have one at work, and its proved really useful for doing organic effects, and 2d flash fx.  I was wondering if anyone has bought used ones in the past on ebay or craigslist.  Or since it was a big investment you bought new instead, less of a risk.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    (lack of) warranty might be an issue to consider when buying 2nd hand. if you can live without that and the unit is in good shape, why not.
    there's probably a really good chance to get ahold of barely used devices since cintiqs are a bit like marmite, aren't they? as in: not for everyone. i know a few who had them at work and only used them as monitors.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I don't remember where I've read about it, but there's the cheaper alternative of a Ugee:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ugee-Digital-Display-Original-Chargers/dp/B00WJHOKQ2/
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I bought my first Cintiq on Craigslist and used it for 6 years before selling and upgrading to a new one. Buying on Craigslist worked out well since I was not in a hurry and looked at several before buying.  
  • Sabotage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    I bought mine off Ebay, i wish i had just bought it new. I got a great deal on it but compared to ones ive used before the sensitivity was "off" couldnt put my finger on it, and ive grown used to it now. With a big purchase like a cintiq i would say buy it new if you can afford it because it really doesnt depreciate in value like most other things...unless a new one comes out.
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    If it were up to me I'd just get a used one for now until it becomes outdated and I have to finance to buy a new one.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If it works and it's used, why not?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've bought factory refurbished wacom products and they were as good as new.  It would depend on how much less a used one from ebay/craigslist was.  The Yiynova MSP19U seems pretty decent once you solve the pressure sensitivity issues by doing this:

open up notepad and type the following two lines
    # Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt, and save the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\

I'm going to dismantle one this weekend to fix an issue with pen detection (there's a vertical dead row).  I'll post an update on how user serviceable they are.