Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ramen shop work

spenser.p
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spenser.p polycounter lvl 8
using EMANUELE ARNALDI's environment concept to work on my skills in modeling been working on it for a bit just wanted to see what feedback i could receive on the look of everything and tips to improve it thanks for your time

Replies

• spenser.p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

been working on the textures mostly just looking for any feedback on the over all look and ways to improve it

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Could we get a closer view? It's hard to tell much about the texturing when we're so zoomed out. Mirror what you did when you took the original shots. This seems like a very nice little ramen shop so far :)
  • spenser.p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks nick and heres some closer shots for clarity 
    model

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    The one thing that's standing out to me a bit too much right now is the pipes. To be honest, because of the color of them, they kinda look like poops flowing out of the house... I don't know how to say that any other way. Maybe slightly less rust. Let the metal shine through at least a little bit imo.
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with nick, pipes definitely don't come across as metal pipes, they are simplified in the concept image but, even simplified they look like metal pipes, also the shape is too thick and the vertical part of the pipe is completely missing ( at least from what is visible in the screenshots. 

Biggest things that are in need of work are the colors, and light, they differ a lot from the concept image.

Couple things, first try and match the angle of camera to the one in the concept, that can help you get the scale ( which is not far off atm ) but it will also help you set the light right ( now its opposite i believe ).
    Some of the elements are not quite as in image and that further distances the model from the concept, for instance:
    -Orange cloth hanging above the table of the shop is pointed inwards , while it should be pointing outwards so its not in shadow and you can match colors better.
    -Roof, metal plates/patching is larger and "cleaner/brighter" the window is too short (vertically)
    -Top sign is much brighter and cleaner in the concept, and metal bits that are holding the sign are too dark and rough/not shiny
    -Side sign does not have the same symbols and is missing the ramen bowl with steam, which is important part because of the color balance in the image.

The objects in the scene have that "neverhood" look like clay and miniature look, while the concept has pretty clean forms that are sharply defined, maybe the best way to go about this would be to block in the forms before taking it to zbrush or other sculpting program just to have the forms nailed down, before adding details.
    Now, if the idea was to stylize the original concept then its looking good ( apart from some form mismatch ) and you can disregard most of the above critique :)

May seem too harsh, but i think this is good piece, just needs some more work. Hope it helps.

• spenser.p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback nick do not want the poop look so ill fix it soon,

thanks for all tips the zodd very helpful i was trying to stylize the concept maybe too much though ill try to work out the mismatch and raise the appeal  
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Even though it's not quite matching the concept I'm absolutely loving the clay look.
  • spenser.p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you samifira 
  • spenser.p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i stoped working on this for a very long time but came back to it to see what i could do and adjusted some things its surprising how much different i would have done things starting from scratch either way i've been hand painting the scene in zbrush i think i am close to done  i just wanted to get feedback before i go into substance painter and finalize some things, these are just screen grabs not renders