Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Gothic Snowtown

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Paradoxidia triangle
So...this is my first post on polycount! Hey everybody! Nice to be a part of the community now. This environment was inspired by this concept art by Jonas De Ro. I'm looking for critiques, tips, tricks...anything really to make this (and future projects) better. Thanks everybody!

Marmoset render of the fountain:

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great! Show a few more angles, you put a lot of work into this piece, show it some more.

I think adding some very light fog to ground level could add some more to the scene. Perhaps some areas to draw the eye as well, street lamps, lights in the windows, etc.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Too much tiling on the textures, throw in some decals, variation, and etc. to break them up. Good job overall though!
  • godejon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    godejon polycounter lvl 6
    Great work so far! One thing I really like about the concept is the orange glow from the houses, I think it adds some much needed contrast. Also, I think the snow on the ground would be flatter. Not around the buildings but some of the lumps are kind of strange looking to me. The birds look great and the smoke especially adds a lot!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work! I think you could build up more atmosphere, eg the smoke coming out of the chimneys has more variety in the concept and it seems whiter and thinner like its slowly dispersing in the cold air and turning into a kind of smog. More snow on the edges/top faces of objects like in the concept and the tone of the snow looks a bit different in the concept. The orange glows from the building lights would also help of course and the birds in the sky dont seem to be getting fogged which makes them look odd.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    You've totally nailed that composition, I actually prefer it to the concept art!
    The only things I'd point out:
    -Some of the cables are too thick and throw off the scale
    -You have buildings that you can see through (needs double sided materials at the very least)
    -The crows are very obviously re-used
    -It doesn't look like you have a single source of light because a lot of the shadows are angled differently, do you multiple light sources?
    -Floating chimney in the top right
  • Paradoxidia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradoxidia triangle
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going to work on taking some shots from different angles, and the lights in the windows and the fog are good ideas! Not to mention the feedback on the scaling, birds and the tilable stuff. I'm so happy to have gotten so much good critique!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    sub'd to check out later, looks good so far!
  • Paradoxidia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradoxidia triangle
    I'm aware this thread is old, but I'm revisiting old work and would love some feedback, particularly on the lighting. I always struggle with lighting, so any advice would be good.