Home Technical Talk

UV Grid slice tool??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Hi,

I wanted to ask if there is a tool that allows u to use the uv grid setting in the UVW unwrap modifier in 3dsmax to slice up your model into seperate elements or objects. This is very useful for very high detail texturing.
Thanks

Replies

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    I have checked scripspot. Can't find anything similar to this. Does anyone know if its possible to write a script that can do this?
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    pixaeiro polycounter lvl 8
    Any selection you make in the UVW Unwrap modifier can be saved as a MaxScript int array:
    fs = $.unwrap_uvw.getSelectedFaces()
    You can 'paste' this integer array as a face selection in your Editable Mesh using this command:
    $.selectedfaces = fs
    Then, in the Editable Mesh use the Detach tool to create a new element. If you are detaching multiple face selection don't detach as objects, as this would change the face structure.

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help Pixaeiro but I finally found an excellent script/plugin that does this effectively.
    Texture Atlas Generator.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/texture-atlas-generator?page=1
    It can be used to subdivide your mesh using the UV cordinates of 1-0 in the Unwrap modifier. Though that isn't what it was meant for. It does the job. Seriously, I saw this several times while looking for something close to what I wanted not knowing it was right under my nose the whole time. It's advisable to try out scripts even if you are not sure whether they can achieve what you are looking for.

Now, to delete all the scripts that I don't need and get back to work, lol.