Home Marmoset

Controlling Additive Transparency inside of Marmoset

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
Hey Marmoset team,

I am trying to understand how to use Additive Transparency inside of Toolbag 2 to create a translucent plastic, and a glass area of the gun I am working on.

I am looking to make the white flap on the stock a translucent plastic, and the white plane inside of the red-dot scope a slightly mucky, but see-through glass. The little scanner on the side of the gun should also be glass.

I have read the tutorial on making glass (http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/glass) but honestly, I am still really confused, and having trouble controlling Shader behaviour.

In an attempt to mask the parts I want to be translucent, I've created an Alpha texture. The black areas on the texture belong to the Stock's ammo hatch, red-dot glass, and scanner glass that I've pointed to on the above screenshot.

However, the material has applied to the entire gun - instead of just the areas that I have masked. 

Here's some screenshots of the Albedo, Metalnass and Microsurface textures. These are calibrated for Marmoset's metalness workflow (used dDo).

I apologise for the lengthy, time-consuming post, too; I spent a while looking at the documentation, and trying out my Alpha texture with different settings to try and get it to function, but I cannot seem to work it out. Any help and/or advice will be highly appreciated by myself. :)

If anyone happen to have any ConCrit on the gun itself, too, I'm appreciative of that too!

Thanks a bunch. 

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I've got a temporary workaround which was to separate the Plastic Hatch from the rest of the gun, and then apply an additive Transparency pass on it.

Is using more than one material going to massive decrease performance?I am not using any new textures to do the glass/plastic, only my existing 4K textures (Albedo, Micro, Metal, Normal, AO) that are on the above screenshots. Just made a new material with the same textures assigned, and changed the settings for Transperency.

I am looking to upload this to Artstation as an .mview file - I am not sure if it's possible to keep the file size under 15MB at 4K resolution - even with methods such as RMA packing?

If I'm doing this completely wrong and/or inefficiently, please correct me.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When using additive blending, the alpha map masks how intense the additive effect is. A black value would be that area is fully transparent, not fully opaque. There is no way to use the add blending mode for opaque surfaces.

Using a separate material is exactly what you should do, and no it will not hurt performance. In fact, in most engines, applying materials with blending to the entire mesh rather than only the areas that need it will hurt performance more than using two materials.

More materials would mean more drawcalls, which may be an issue if say, this asset is on screen 100 or or more times, but for a gun that is likely to be on screen on once, or a few times at most, it is trivial.

RMA packing will not help to reduce the file size for Marmoset Viewer files, as the textures are packed into an optimized, standardized format on export. You will not be able to fit a 4K texture set under 15MB, but a 2K (set quality to high) should work.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Thanks a bunch Earthquake. :)