Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Game Character: Old Knight

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mcgillchris polycounter lvl 4
Tried posting this earlier but it disappeared somehow. Would love feedback on this guy. This is my first character, using Blender and Substance Painter. He's about 80,000 tri's now which I know is high but won't be too hard to lower him. I'm having to re-do the mesh because I didn't take into account the deformation of the animations when I rigged him -__-  I've attached the in-progress updated version of his face as well. 

Replies

• mcgillchris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on his face. Its just under 10,000 tri's with the normals baked in. I'm playing around trying to learn how to do wrinkles. I've ignored a lot of the detail around his chin and lower jaw as that will be covered by a beard. 

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice job!
    I miss a lot of anatomical structure. I think you could really benefit by practice sculpting figures. The character looks floaty to me. The pose is weightless and there seems to be no physics with regards to stretching and pressure of the costume which misses volume. The structure and the physics is what helps your character look more real and expressive. Without those elements a figure can look doll like. The head looks unpainted at the moment. Its just my opinion, but if you are making a personal piece then its good to sculpt everything underneath as if the model could be used naked. Not only does this help the clothed and hared up character, its just plain good practice and will show your clients/employer that you know your stuff.

The best way to progress with a wip thread is to show the basic sculpt with figure rotation and untextured so you can get crits before everything is finished and other artists can help you with development. Looks to me you are aware of character traits and I think with some intensive figure practice you will be unstoppable!

Cheerio
  • mcgillchris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yea the head is basically untextured (if you're referring to the beardless pic of him. I'm still figuring out baking normals so I was seeing how the low poly version worked out and just threw a basic skin texture on. Really helpful critique. I will practice sculpting some figures and see if I can get some better physics to his clothing and such.  I deleted the body that wasn't seen early on but I can see how helpful it would be to have it. When I think I've made some progress I will post again. Thanks! 
  • mcgillchris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

model

Tried to rework it, starting with his body to hopefully feel a little more physically accurate and not "floaty." As soon as you said that it ruined him for me haha. I've kept the detail low to save myself time if I still need to make major adjustments.