Home Quixel Megascans

In-progress: SP bake - sync - Quixel(Mikkt space)

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
musashidan high dynamic range
I've just installed QS2 and am really impressed by some of the demo vids(having purchased the beta and since moving to Substance Painter:) ) Now for the practicalities: I'm wondering if SP and QS2 are synced, or does QS2 use Mikkt?

I have a test mesh baked out from SP using a synched-single smoothing group workflow. There is no option upon mesh import in QS2 to respect existing  tangents/bi-normals so I'm assuming I'm out of luck?

Mesh exported from Max - .Fbx/T&BN unchecked/smoothing groups checked/triangulate checked

Bake is good in SP. Normal map is good in UE4

Is it currently necessary to revert to a non-synched workflow(smoothing group/UV splits) in QS2?

Cheers in advance.

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    You can use a synced workflow in quixel, but there is one work around you have to take note of and the below is for UE4 btw:

I have imported my maps (the normal's are baked in modo using MikkTSpace tangent space normal's)
    I have one smoothing group and no uv splits and the export target is for UE4 (with the Flip Y unchecked)

This is what it looks like in 3DO (not synced):

Now this is the part you have to take note of and keep in mind that this does not work in reverse:

Go to the normal map and invert it (ctrl + i):

Once the normal's are inverted your normal's are synced but you cannot save out your maps like this !!!
    You have to re-invert the normal map before you save out your maps !!!
    Textures added:

Then I want to save these maps, so I have to re-invert the normal map:

The result in Marmoset using the UE4 template and Y inverted, it's synced:

and with Y not inverted, it's not synced:

And by doing this in reverse I mean you cannot simply check Flip  Y in Quixel before quixel process your maps and then just invert Y again once your ready to start texturing, this does not work as the normal's are completely messed up and no matter what you do they cannot be fixed.

To recap:
    The workaround simply involves temporally inverting the normal map so you get a synced workflow in quixel and when you want to save out your maps or the project you have to re-invert the normal map before you do so. May seem like a hassle but ctrl+i is fast and you just refresh 3DO = Done.

Cheers

Pete      

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks for that information, Pete!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @repete thanks for that mate.Hopefully Mikkt will be added soon. I've pretty much given up on QS for the moment(sticking with SP) as it seems incredibly slow and bug-ridden. And the endless flickering screen every time I click a button is quite off-putting.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that information, Pete!
    Incidentally, any word on when Mikkt will be implemented? :smile: 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It probably won't be until the end of February at the earliest - our 3DO engineer just had a child. He'll be out for a bit. :smile: