Home Technical Talk

None Square Textures 3DS Max Unwrap?

mobpapst
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

i want to do a model with none square textures in the end. but before i can do this i need to know how to unwrap and how to bake it in 3ds max? i always done this in complete square mode to get 1kx1k or 2kx2k but i need to get this model 2kx1k for example.

1. What i need to do to unwarp it in 3ds max none square?

2. How to bake it none Square in 3ds max / xNormal?

3. Can i texture it easy in substance painter or ddo and get a none square result in the end?

please help me.

thanks

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    SP doesn't accept non-square textures so I don't know if you can use 2:1 UV's.  You can change the aspect ratio in the unwrap editor in Max but you really don't have to.
    Just unwrap as normal, but across 2 adjacent UV tiles(vertical or horiz from/and including 0-1, whichever you prefer) When finished uniformly scale to half of 0-1. Now just create your square map at double intended res and crop it to 2:1 res when finished.
    As I said SP doesn't deal with 2:1 UV space/maps so in that case your maximum res after crop will be limited to 2K
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Mobpapst!

You should have no issues creating oblong textures using the Suite. :smile: Musashidan's advice is pretty solid - you can also read more about the workflow here. The information may be a bit out of date but it's still worth a read!