Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interior computer lab WIP - C&C plz?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Carabiner greentooth
This is my first time posting in the new forums, hope it works okay!

For the past few months, I've been working on creating this concept by Valdis Matas: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TtCjumWpgfY/U6AMdIOWImI/AAAAAAAAARM/qEX4k4dLGJc/s1600/Paintover2.jpg (it was the subject of a noob challenge a while back)

Here is what I have right now -- hoping to wrap/polish this up soon and get it onto my portfolio! I am planning to apply for entry-level (junior or associate) environment/prop/generalist positions, ideally in the next month or so.

Things I know are wrong and will be fixing/adding before final renders:
- The light maps did not bake well on the wall tiles
- The surge protector cables/duct tape isn't there yet
- Brown trim around the bottom edges of the walls
- I also think that the AO might be a bit strong, and will probably tone that down. 

Also, there are a few assets that are a little off from concept -- to my eye, noticeably the printer and the couch. Are things like that are obvious enough to be worth slightly redoing/rebaking things? My default answer is always "yes redo anything that isn't perfect" but not sure if that's just me being a perfectionist; at some point I want to start applying for jobs and I'm not sure if it's okay to just accept that things aren't perfect, or if that will negatively affect my portfolio enough that it's worth it to change those things.

Other than that, I was hoping to get thoughts on how I'm doing so far and what I could do to push the mood further. I was thinking of adding some very subtle dust particles just to add some more interest.

In terms of final stuff for my portfolio, I will be rendering out some high-res renders of the whole scene at various angles (including this one), as well as plain renders in Marmoset of a few hero assets.