Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Hand drawn 3D Art

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Here's what I've been up to lately. I'm drawing out 2D scenes/props that I want to bring into Unreal Engine 4 and have it look exactly identical to the 2D art.  :)  I'm aiming to achieve this with a mix of sprites and some 3D models.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    And I'm proud to announce what artstyle I've finally settled on. It's not that experimental PBR style I did last time that confused people. It's now something exactly similar to high budget 90's cartoons like Space Jam or The Iron Giant.  It matches my desire to draw highly detailed drawings that come close to 3D!

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Here's a rough draft of the first scene concept. The UE4 scene will come after it.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Newest prop.  :) 

I'm aiming for this quality.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Today's work.
    Edit: Removed the lenz flarezz. It's not how I envision it yet.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Good for you!

its a bit unclear whats 3D and whats 2D though.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    lotet said:
    Good for you!

Everything right now are 2D drawings.  

The only 3D will be the sprites and some buildings if I decide I don't want to draw them.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    JordanN said:
    lotet said:
    Good for you!

Everything right now are 2D drawings.  

The only 3D will be the sprites and some buildings if I decide I don't want to draw them.
    The more logical way (to me) would be to have the main assets in 3d and only the background objects as simple sprites. So you could even rotate the main objects.

If you do the main assets only as sprites they would be flat so you cannot rotate or move them. But maybe i just don´t get what you´re trying to do.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    .Wiki said:
    The more logical way (to me) would be to have the main assets in 3d and only the background objects as simple sprites. So you could even rotate the main objects.

If you do the main assets only as sprites they would be flat so you cannot rotate or move them. But maybe i just don´t get what you´re trying to do.
    I want to make something like this, but in HD.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWBUdgIa0oE

I find this type of approach to game art appealing and it's one that's rarely explored today. It's also something feasible I can pull off,  as I believe the manpower needed to make convincing 3D models look 2D is beyond my limits.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    New stuff!

The Stats are just me having fun, and are part of the story.  :)

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    New prop!  :)
    This is my most detailed one to date (until I color in the Leopard Tank I suppose).

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Latest Car Scene concept.  :)

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Shinigami said:
    so can you convert your 2d art to 3d or what?

I could but as I told .Wiki above, that is too much manpower for me to do it for every object. Some things are going to be full 3D (like a house prop I'm working on). Everything else though are meant to be sprites.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator

This one is special because it's one of the few props that will have its own 3D model and not be a sprite. 
    (Note this model is from last year. I will update it to look like the above drawing)

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    New prop! :)
    Every texture and line is hand drawn. Not one brick is the same!

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Final colors, plus a closeup!  :)

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It kind of feels like you took your last thread and hit ctrl+i.

I'm a bit confused about what your aim is, especially with the "every brick is unique" thing, which just feels like a very inefficient way to do it. I'm all for doing things by hand, when it has a benefit, but even doing a 12 by 12 brick tile would probably save considerable time and effort. I mean, do things how you want to, of course; I'm just curious about why you're doing it the way you are.

I'm also a bit turned off by the realistic shapes and proportions, with what is essentially a toon shader. Reminds me of the old days, when Maya's built in toon shader was used to all kinds of 2D cartoons that needed complex animation, so they just made a particular object in 3D. Gives an uncanny valley feeling, for me. And it gives me the impression that you took an arch-viz model and just threw on a toon shader, which I know isn't the case, but it really feels that way.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Joopson said:
    I mean, do things how you want to, of course; I'm just curious about why you're doing it the way you are.
    I want to match 90's cartoons that had the same level of detail put into them. It's also a lot of fun.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator

But wait!!! I actually want to give it texture! But it's still in the rough stages of trying to get it to look stylized instead of real.

Instead, I'll leave a visualization!

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Do you have shots of the cartoons you're trying to emulate? Like I said, this is reading like someone just put a toon shader on a completely realistic 3D model. Most cartoons don't look like that, so I'm having a hard time understanding what you're aiming for.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Joopson said:
    Do you have shots of the cartoons you're trying to emulate? Like I said, this is reading like someone just put a toon shader on a completely realistic 3D model. Most cartoons don't look like that, so I'm having a hard time understanding what you're aiming for.
    Look at the second post in my thread. I showed one of the props used in The Iron Giant that is based on a 3D model and then composited for 2D in film.  I also included another art reference from the movie  in this post.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Edit: Double post glitch
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    More scene work.
    Edit: Some trees look short. Gonna fix that.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Decided to stop work on a new prop. I'll find it too difficult to draw.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Finally. A colored tank.  :)

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:
    Joopson said:
    Look at the second post in my thread. I showed one of the props used in The Iron Giant that is based on a 3D model and then composited for 2D in film.  I also included another art reference from the movie  in this post.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting in this thread, but here goes:

This:

Does not equal this:

All the details in the Iron Giant animation sheet have been simplified and the proportions slightly exaggerated. If you stop and study it you will see what I'm talking about that.

This is why your recent batch of renders fail. You're not exaggerating your proportions or simplifying the details. You are simply applying flat shading and hand drawn textures to realistic models.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with what you're doing, but if you're going for something similar to the Iron Giant feel, then you are off target.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    That is interesting. I'll start making some changes.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are two details that are easy to observe:

The front grill is simplified.

And the front seat detail.

Tracking the real details in 2d animation is very difficult and expensive. So simplifying is the best option.

So when you take a realistic 3d model, you will have to think about proportion and simplification in order to make the 3d model feel like a 2d object.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Edit: My mistake, I misread.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Now that it's March, I want to make my first moves into bringing my drawn assets into Unreal Engine 4!  :)

I started building my proportions but I'm hurrying to get some textures in there. The scene is also unlit, so I can paint in my own lighting.

I also found another GBA game that really captures what kind of game design artstyle I'm after. See Driv3r on the GBA pull off open world graphics using just sprites and some 3D models.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lA-ov8L66s
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You could try to shade your objects like in this thread: http://polycount.com/discussion/148488/dead-static-drive-unreal-game-project
    So you don´t have to paint in all the shadows and speculars.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    A 3D version of my Canadian Battle Tank. :)  I want to draw them but I might just leave them as 3D. 

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    The cannon shape looks weird. Since canada uses a old variant of the german leopard 2 tank.  Since this is meant to be more stylized you can even exaggerate the smoke-launchers a little bit. They appear to be very small.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Leo2_Pics/Leo2A4_scan01.jpg
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    .Wiki said:
    The cannon shape looks weird. Since canada uses a old variant of the german leopard 2 tank.  Since this is meant to be more stylized you can even exaggerate the smoke-launchers a little bit. They appear to be very small.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Leo2_Pics/Leo2A4_scan01.jpg
    Changes made. 

I also got around to doing the back. Don't want to spend too much time here though so I'll show textures next.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    In addition to props, I want to try something new. Hand drawn special effects!  :)

I have never done this before so I'm going to learn from reference.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The first devil character I've been working on now has a name (and will finally explain why there are "devil weapons" on the first page).  :)

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been recommended before but I'll say it again.

You need to focus. You're pulling yourself in too many directions and the quality is suffering.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
     I can only speak for myself; but for me, it's very unclear what your goal is with this project. And without a clear and understandable goal, it's almost impossible to give relevant and specific feedback. Or any feedback at all; I think if you really made it clear what you were going for, and made definite strides toward doing it properly and with focus, you'd receive many more comments here that would only help the project going forward.

SkankerZero is right, for sure. And I think people have mentioned it before, going back to fundamentals can only help, before venturing into something like this. It seems like you are having trouble establishing a consistent style with the pieces in this thread, and that's something that should probably be sorted out as soon as possible, lest you'll have to redo a lot of it in the future, or you just won't like the final product.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I do have a goal for this. But it's going to take me a while to get there because I always planned for this to span many months as opposed to something I can finish right away.

I wrote a post in my old thread that tried to explain what I mean. It's not my intention to not make a good looking art.  But because I never posted a lot of art before, I needed to make a start somewhere.

On consistency, a lot of it comes down to how I'm actually learning how to reverse engineer old artstyles. Without many new games/movies doing stuff like The Iron Giant did, I have to clear my mind of those outside influences so I can focus on copying just Warner Bros. You can start to see this change in my newer art, where I'm using colors and outlines closer to the movies, whereas all my art on my first page had colors/outlines coming from my imagination.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Redid my character drawing. I definitely apologize for the previous one's quality.  :#

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Some new characters.  :)

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    New drawings.  :)

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Making a slight change to my project.

The street scene I had planned is being divided into 3 smaller ones. It now gives me more time to finish other assets in the background while being able to show some new stuff running in engine.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    New drawings.  :)
    This time, I'm now adding lighting. Here are 2 versions:
    (less aggressive specular)

(more aggressive specular)

And as usual, my reference. Or maybe I just loving posting screenshots from the Iron Giant. Either will do!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I've textured a prop.  :)
    It will be part of the new smaller scenes I'm making.

I'm also going to start toning down the realism. I redrew blueprints and exaggerated the features from a real light pole.

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator

There's no textures on your textured prop. Nor do the proportions match anything like those of  your sketch, which is full of guide lines so I'd expect proportions to be relevant to the 3d model. I don't know what you're doing.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    danr said:

There's no textures on your textured prop. Nor do the proportions match anything like those of  your sketch, which is full of guide lines so I'd expect proportions to be relevant to the 3d model. I don't know what you're doing.
     I did do some additional touching up on the model. Trying to translate the drawing directly into 3D didn't yield the results I wanted so I squashed and skewed some things to help things fall into place better. It goes back to what I was saying on page 1 on why I'm being cautious about using 3D models, because it takes a lot of effort to get them feeling 2D.

As for texture, because a lot of my props will end up using flat colors like in Iron Giant/90s cartoons, I feel this is what people are going to be looking at 99% of time even when it is colored. There will be some exceptions though like if I decide to add more detail later on.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Also note, I'm not trying dismiss your criticism. If there's something I'm not understanding now, I usually try to do something better the next time.