Home Technical Talk

Substance Painter vs Quixel Suite 2.0

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
Hi. I am looking to purchase either substance painter of quixel suite but I am undecided on which one to go for. I would like to know which one the Polycount community prefers and why?

Cheers

Replies

• StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    They are both pretty awesome and i think either way you go you will be happy. 

Personally I've got both but have found with the way I work Quixel has been better - with my personal work flow I like its all incorporated into photoshop and there is little jumping back and forth between applications but the biggest bonus for me is I just find it a lot quicker to produce work that is of good enough quality to chuck in the game. As a one man art team dDo is quick and makes good stuff! 

As great as substance (people that have used it more then me might have a different opinion on this) its damn complex and it takes a LOT of work to create work of great quality. Over time you will have a library of build materials and things will speed up sure but most studios that use substance have people who's full time job is to substance. And from there you got to think about how big your studio is and value of time/money... If it takes 2 days to make a great rusty metal texture is that value for money? Well if its for one object maybe not? If its for every object in the game then well maybe it is?

Another thing to ask your self is how your mind set works..... I like quixel because its all about "colour" and "visuals" its just how my brain is wired.. If your a bit more into technical stuff, code, lists and nodes they you might be better off with substance..

But yea if your on your own I'd suggest Quixel - unless you see your self as a technical artist then you will enjoy substance. 

If your part of a big team where you can dedicate someone to substance then yea substance is a good call. 
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Just try them both and decide for yourself?  It's free trial after all.
    It's all about how you prefer to work and what works for you at the end of the day, not what others think is better.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for your responses guys. I have tried substance but not quixel. I will download quixel and have a go.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://quixel.se/hub/learn/

They put up a new learning resource with the 2.0 release
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 11

I love Quixel for how much Photoshop it is. If you are familiar with Photoshop you can get going in Quixel super easy and fast and the results are pretty cool. Ultimately I feel that Substance Designer (not painter alone) is the more flexible toolset because of Substance integration into several major engines and applications. You can be as bitmap or procedural based in Substance as you want and work non-destructive in most cases.

Substance Painter alone works okay but you can still feel it's the first application from Allegorithmic. Painter for me crashes rather often if the mesh has problems and still doesn't feel as fluent as it could. I am totally convinced that substance Designer is the way to go for everything that has to be flexible, though. And Painter is being developend and refined constantly.

I've settled for the Allegorithmic Combo, myself.

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    If you don't care that all your textures look like the default dDo presets, then yes, dDo is really fast and good. The huge amount of presets it comes with are really the biggest selling point in my mind. I haven't used 2.0 yet but if there isn't an expanded ability to create your own material presets and more impotrantly masks, then its probably still going to be quite limiting.

Substance is really great, but it's a production framework for big teams. 
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks said:
    If you don't care that all your textures look like the default dDo presets, then yes, dDo is really fast and good. The huge amount of presets it comes with are really the biggest selling point in my mind. I haven't used 2.0 yet but if there isn't an expanded ability to create your own material presets and more impotrantly masks, then its probably still going to be quite limiting.

Substance is really great, but it's a production framework for big teams. 

You should really use the "presets" as kind of a starting point if you are going to use them. From there jump into the mask editor and you can customize the hell out of it switching which textures are in the masks and the strength, fall off, contrast + layer styles all all of the mask components - it's very powerful. There are lots of similar controls in there that substance uses but of course image based rather then node based.

Secondly you can also jump in and either change all the albedo colours + colour properties of everything that makes up that material - make that blue paint green, change the roughness etc

Thirdly you can add more materials into any preset. Very easy to add extra dirt + rusts on top of any given preset. 

Basically on the surface it does look like it's made up of presets but they are only made with the tools that come with dDo - you can use those same tools to work into the presets or create your own from scratch.

At their core they are both doing similar things. Substance has the advantage of nodes giving you that flexibility to change every texture in the game with one slider but is a far more "technical" bit of kit. Quixel is great for speed and simplicity.  
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a lot Substance can do that Quixel can't. Substance is much better suited to make tiling textures, creating vfx type textures, creating and using textures beyond the basic PBR albedo/roughness/normal/etc. It's definitely more of the tech artist tool if that's your goal or interest. Better for rapid iteration across lots of assets and making a uniform design. 

Quixel is better at getting your model 80% done texturing very quickly, especially if it fits within the presets. It's good for individual artists and assets, especially if you like texturing in photoshop. 
  • Sabotage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    If youre learning, Substance's interface allows for easier comprehension of what PBR is. I liked the sliders to control roughness and spec values, helped me understand it a bit more. Also i hated the load times when applying textures in Quixel, if youre messing around it can be a pain. Substance for me has been faster, easier to paint in, and has a cleaner interface.

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Substance painter is so cumbersome to use that i would go with Quixel  if you don't want to loose a lot of time and have work being done instead of trying to figure out how SP work.

SP will probably get better in 3 to 5 years but as it is now it's a no go for me.

So many artists are quicker with the good old photoshop workflow then the new cluttered piece of software out there.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    |'ve tried Quixel two times - 1.8 and 2.0 and I personally found that it's slower, gets me less control and less reliable than Painter. Plus you can't reimport base textures in the project (current Quixel version) so it's no go for production (at least for me) because I tweak my maps a lot.

Scanned materials are good though.
  • 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Personally, I dont see how you can maintain a consistent look between assets in a non-node workflow.  This comes to the forefront when working with multiple assets and re visions.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    I've used them both.  My preference is Substance Designer / Painter. Yes, there is a learning curve to both the programs. A lot more so with Substance Designer.  However, once you get the hang of it, it's way more flexible and far reaching than Quixel. 
    A lot of the off the shelf engines also allow you to plug your substances directly in engine and allow you to tweak them in real time. This allows for textures that are KB in size.  Yet can look like 4k textures, with the ability to change them in engine.  Huge memory and time saver.

• Rokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokai null
    substance painter cant paint normal with custom bevel profile. 
    its all about heightmap... that a big minus. no lasso tool, no rectangle selection tool. cant do normal with custom pattern, in ddo u can edit it right on the app. and real time, but in substance painter, u cant, ur life depend on height map that generate from another software. :( 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You are right that there is no shape or lasso tools yet in Painter, but you can still paint on the normal map channel, Painter comes with hundreds of hard surface normal map stamps, and you can of course import a normal map created with nDo. Also the next update will allow you to see the normal map conversion of your height channel in real time while you paint.