Home Quixel Megascans

Tutorial: Mesh preparation for Quixel Suite 2 with 3D Studio Max and Maya

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Synaesthesia polycounter
Our newest tutorial is up! @Wiktor gives us a great overview of how to set meshes up for general work in the Suite, in addition to requirements for 3D painting. :smile: 

It's located at Quixel.se/learn along with the rest of our constantly updating tutorials. :smiley: 

Direct video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=742Pa2foxE0

Replies

• davaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I noticed that if I export my mesh as an FBX file into NDO and try to paint on it using a multi layer in paint mode, I cannot paint on it. The mesh shows normal color over the whole mesh in 3DO and not able to paint. If I export my mesh as OBJ into NDO then it works as it should and able to paint directly on the mesh using the multi layer paint mode.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Davaze,

This is a mesh orientation issue caused in 3DO, and has been fixed - it will be available on next update release! :)

• davaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good to hear!
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the video!

Also noticed that the renderer wants me to "render this shit" 
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    I asked in facebook but got no reply so i'll post it here, it's quixel unrelated but, how did you managed to unwrap that highpoly mesh? What techniques or software do you use? Because in 3dsmax it's a complete pain in the ass to unwrap something with such density.

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    kohg said:
    I asked in facebook but got no reply so i'll post it here, it's quixel unrelated but, how did you managed to unwrap that highpoly mesh? What techniques or software do you use? Because in 3dsmax it's a complete pain in the ass to unwrap something with such density.

I unwrapped it before subdividing it, which made it super easy. Simple as that. :)
  • petey0707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    petey0707 polycounter lvl 8
    Wiktor said:
    kohg said:

I unwrapped it before subdividing it, which made it super easy. Simple as that. :)
    I already subdivided my complex mesh. Could I attach the pieces back together in a separate copy, unwrap it, then copy/paste it to the subdivided mesh? Or maybe group the mesh together as one and unwrap it that way?