Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spider Boss WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
I have been working on this model on and off for a little while now. I modeled it from a concept piece my friend done for me. As I have progressed I have been thinking about making changes but I don't really know which direction to go. I am posting here for feedback (comments and criticism) and also some pointers.

I would like to stress that at the moment the model is low poly and is not finished. Thank you!

Replies

• peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legs look too small to support the body. If you look at real spiders they do have one big bit but its not that huge and normally stops at the legs that all meet up at the same spot rather than at different points along the body and are normally thinker in comparison. If that thing stood up it's legs would snap in half.

Is that a caved in bit under its ribs? Looks like a giant gaping hole from the front angle and makes me think body isn't connected to torso by much at all, think that should be filled in.

I wouldn't so much have those holes in it's back, i'd make it a texture in colour on a black body. Think Red Back Spider but with a face kinda like a skull which is what the holes look like now :)

Arthur and the invisibles maltazard I think is a good example of a face for it but maybe less wrinkles xD

The arms are also too thin to be anything more than useless things that break the moment you try and use them for anything.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will take a look at Arthur and the Invisible today, cheers.

The holes on the back represent the eyes and nose piece of a skull, but beings though this is the low poly model you may not be able to notice  well.

I will work on the legs as I am not happy with them at all.

Thankyou for your feedback!
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Spiders have 8 legs mate, not 6! :P
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback Dan, i'll use that! Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Also in the realm of more serious feedback I'd probably drop your subdivision levels down. Looks like you're sculpting at a really high resolution - you only need to go to high levels of polygons when you're ready to sculpt intricate detail such as the surface of this thing's skin, and I don't feel like it's at that stage yet.

Drop the subdivision down a bit, and work on getting the overall structure perfect first. Peteed1985 has raised a very valid point about the legs not supporting the body, so you should be dropping your subdivision back down for fixing this, aforementioned, as you do not need the high resolution geometry. 

Could we see the Concept Art too? It's hard to know what you're going for without being able to see the concept you're working from.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the good feedback Dan. Currently, the model is at 50k polygons, would you consider that high poly mate?

I will work on the legs. It is not finished and the legs are one of the main things that bother me. Would you say I need to scale them bigger as well as add in an extra two?
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/93/242259331_425aa82d9e.jpg

http://www.eurospiders.com/pardosa_agricola_leg_4660

http://www.footootjes.nl/Photography_Macro/002_PICT0387_LegsSharp_sel1600x1200_sh0.8-100_BC.JPG

If you look at the leg on these pictures you will notice that they have more mass than your legs. Right now they are too thin. And Regarding polycount. Try to keep it as low as you can without loosing the shape. Only subdivide when you need to, when your current polycount does not allow you to do what you want to do. And right now it looks like you are too high. And could you post the concept as well so we can see what you are trying to get as an end goal? =) 

Hope it helps, good luck. 
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And Regarding polycount. Try to keep it as low as you can without loosing the shape. Only subdivide when you need to, when your current polycount does not allow you to do what you want to do. And right now it looks like you are too high. 
    Thankyou for your feedback! 
    Do you think 50k polys is too high? If so how many polygons should I be aiming for, for an high poly model?
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that is the thing, it is hard to know for any specific model. Since your model will have many limbs they will all take up an extra amount of polygons. So you will have to get a feel for it. But I can make a picture for you to explain.  

In the left pice off the image it is almost too highpoly as a base, as I can create details. While as it looks on the right one is great for building up forms. and if you work in a subd that is almost familiar  to the right result you will be able to create your base forms with that, and then subdivide. In that way you will avoid lumpiness.  But still have control over your shapes. 

So to wrap it up. Do not focus too much on your polycount. Rather get a feel for the amount you need for the moment. 
    I hope this explains it =) 
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is great advice Nuclear, thanks for clearing that up mate!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem. Good luck with your sculpt.