Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: DDO question adding detail

snake85027
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
I am creating a road and used the asphault material. My question is. Lets say I want to add cracks and I would want what I add to affect all the neccessary maps. Is there a way to get what I put on a new layer on lets say the Albedo layer to be added on the normal map layer and spec and so on? Because right now to add a crack I grabbed a crack brush and clicked on where I wanted it to be on the albedo but then did a define pattern on that crack and then stamped it on the normal map layer........but im sure i am doing this wrong.

Replies

• Justinnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justinnd polycounter lvl 8
    From the looks if it the "painting" only affects one texture at a time right now.

What you could do is add a new material, something that suits your look, then go into dynamask and edit, or paint its mask. That way you will be getting all of the maps that went with a particular material. Then transfer the edited mask to all maps if needed under the dropdown in the upper right corner of DDO.

Edit: I kinda know what you're looking for though. The feel I got from the new 3DO widow is its just itching for a bunch of new sweet texturing and painting tools. I hope that's the direction they're planning on taking it.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You can paint a custom mask on the mesh in one channel and copy that mask to all other channels. That would be the best way to go about doing this. The method you used will work, but it's faster to copy the data you've already painted. :smile: 
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Synaesthesia can you go into more detail on what you mean. I never really use mask in photoshop.  When I copy a channel is that a simple control c and v thing?  So in my example where I want to add the cracks detail to the road. Would I just another a new layer in the albedo file and use the Add a Layer Mask and control c  it when im done and control v it in the other maps,nrmal,spec,ect....  are they ever going to have it to where you paint on one map it it will effect all the other maps based on parameters that you have selected?  So lets say one of the parameters is Cracks and i paint all the other maps will already know how to handle the changes and update correctly.. Hey Justin, Ill have to check out the Dynamask , i dont know much about it.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    From the main DDO window, you can click on the dropdown arrow at the top right. This menu will expand to open up many options, including Copy Mask to All Maps and Copy Layer to All Maps.

CMtAM will copy one mask on a layer to its duplicate layers in the other channels. CLtAM will copy the layer contents instead.

If you painted the crack via DynaMask, you can copy the crack mask to the other layer channels. If you did it inside of Photoshop, you can copy the layer contents to the other layer channels. :smile: 
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply and tips.