Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Tears of joy just went down my cheeks.... :O
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    whoa... that is beautiful. Havent played the latest FF, so hopefully the combat minmaxing is still fun :)
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Will play the shit out of this!
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Visually, it holds up..gameplay wise, I'm a big traditionnalist. Seeing how they mold every rpg into full real-time action is not something I like. This looks like a FF XV clone.

I'm really appreciative of the classic turn based gameplay (my faved FF was X since everthing was so simple and straight forward)..

I think it's sad to see new gamers uncapable of enjoying turn-based anymore..is pokemon gonna be next lol?

Anyway, I sincerely doubt the game will have a fully fledged world map like the old game..if they manage to pull it off with this quality of visuals, then Square might really be onto something big..
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Looks like a copy-paste job of the FF15 battle system. Not a fan at all.
    I want battles with cinematic camera angles like the original FF7.

Facial animation needs a ton of work too.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Gameplay looks like FF13 + FF15... Not sure if I actually like that or not... I wouldn't want to just control 1 character and hacking and slashing around. To me, the fun lies in using appropriate characters for the appropriate tasks at appropriate time. 

"Barret, use Limit Break on THAT one, not the other one. Aerith, use Cure 2, not Cure 3. It's a waste. Cloud, attack the target with full HP, not the one about to die... Let Aerith picks that one off instead."
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The battle system in the original was like chess.   I'm hoping they're just playing with camera angles when you chose an action because if they lose that tactical value, I'm not really interested.

Visually, this game was emo before emo was emo and I think a LOT of JRPG's take influence from FFVII, so I don't mind seeing that here...  aren't Cloud's eyes supposed to glow though?
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, I'll have to make time for this! I welcome the changes to the combat system, if I wanted the same combat I'd just play the ps3/pc port. 

The only thing that strikes me odd is the voice acting, the dialog is cheesy, but that is expected.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Wedge voice (or is it Biggs) is what really put me off in the trailer...like wth..
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I'm looking at it like a dubbed kung fu movie, just pretend the voices are ONLY there so you don't have to read.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just listen to JP voice and read Subtitle like an anime fan :P 
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    The game appear to be running on XV engine, the exploration part looks like a corridor with some "crawl down here" or "lean on the wall" already shown on XV, the battle system is confusing, you'll never understand where the enemy is attacking you from; you'll just have to keep pushing the action button to win the battle it seems.

Barret with sunglasses at night is silly, is he Wesley Snipes in Blade?
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh. I wanted the turn-based battles to remain. Loved that in the original.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Everything looks absolutely amazing. I even love the changes to combat. I just hope it manages to maintain the same content and scope as the original, which seems very unlikely. I could easily see it getting heavily railroaded.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only way they could keep the tactical part of old battle with the new fast-paced combat, is if you automatically passively autoattack. This repeats until you use an ability, then you're in cooldown mode for a few seconds before you resume autoattack and ready for new command again.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    turn based FFX was the best they ever did IMO. i ate fingernails during those boss battles. it all went downhill after that one for me when they tried more mass market appeal. and they surely are not bringing that style of gameplay back, are they. thankfully, there's still persona with a modernized take on turn based. :)

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, X-2 ATB was not that bad too, with this kind of games the action ruins the experience, it doesn't give you the time to think what to do, and as always, you'll have to run around to a safe place to use an healing spell/item, since you can't really use the menu while fighting.

XII was going in the right direction, I have to try the version with the Job system though.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Looks more like kingdom hearts than final fantasy XV to me, which i've fine with especially if you can swap characters like the trailer implies. 

Btw i'm pretty sure this isn't luminous engine, it has to be unreal engine right? Same that they're using for kingdom hearts?

I agree i was personally hoping for some kinda evolved turnbased system (completely different than XIII though) but if it's like kingdom hearts and includes swaping characters i'lll be happy. I just hope there's still a materia focus and a bigger focus on more than just attacking for strategy. 
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Sonicblue, as much as I like FF 12 visuals and universe, the battle system was well thought when put on paper but sadly became boring onto execution.

I'll tell you; the gambit automatic action system ruined it. It came quickly to the point where, my character would directly approach an enemy and start doing the required necessary actions all by itself..

''Hey, lets make an RPG where the player programs it's character so he doesnt have to do anything while playing''...

MM..not really..the game felt more after a while like I was playing a (gooddamn good) MMORPG, even worse considering how the game's story and narrative elements are the amongst the worst in the series...

I agree thought, the fast-pacing turn based of X-2 is what modern jrpg should look like imo....with a slight tase of Legend of Dragoon addition system..

EDit:

Let's talk a bit about the visuals here.
    SUrprisingly, everthing seems to be here. Every sequence has been remodeled following the old game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTBgDpnEI4

Feeling old yet?

Also, who remembers, the PS3 tech demo of FF7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCYy8C5Av4

I dunno, I still kinda like it. It hasnt aged.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Looks pretty legit, as long as they don't fuck up the battle system. I like that they're keeping it authentic otherwise, didn't realize how closely it matched the original scene.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Despiete how much love is for FFVII i didn't like it that much, but this looks quite amazing i'll definetely give it a try. It's awesome to see the Final Fantasy universe come to live with new tech, i can't wait to see more remakes for the VIII and IX.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blond, I think it was supposed to work like that, helping you with the battle, you can also program it to be "dumber" if you want.

Fortunately there are a lot of JRPG to play on PSX and PS2 in the meantime.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    Fortunately there are a lot of JRPG to play on PSX and PS2 in the meantime.
    There's lots of good new traditional ones on portable consoles like the 3ds and vita. 
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca said:
    There's lots of good new traditional ones on portable consoles like the 3ds and vita. 
    I find it difficult, not owning them, lol

I'd like to see more non scripted gameplay footage for this game, they cutted it so that you can see only few fractions of every scene, it's hard to focus on what's happening, especially on the battle, but I'm still baffled by Jessie kicking that guy, while floating on the air maintaining the position for quite some time, immobile.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry but news have fallen; it was too good to be true.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151954

It is now confirmed that the game will be in episodic release..the hype train stops there there for me...

It was kinda expected though, even for a remake, a game with the same scale of the original with today's standard would be way too costy and take too much development time, almost like if they were releasing a completely new episode...

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .................. Well, I didn't expect THAT.

Now, you see, if they make it so that the Midgar is like one big area that you can travel around, and maybe do side missions. AKA Assassin's Creed style map. But then again, I want story, I don't want the grind for no reason.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Blond said:
    Sorry but news have fallen; it was too good to be true.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151954

It is now confirmed that the game will be in episodic release..the hype train stops there there for me...

It was kinda expected though, even for a remake, a game with the same scale of the original with today's standard would be way too costy and take too much development time, almost like if they were releasing a completely new episode...

So just like I was afraid, it'll be a heavily railroaded version of the main story only... a huge chunk of my interest just got flushed down the toilet.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Best case scenario, the parts are 1:1 in length to the original discs (I'd be OK with this). But realistically, square will probably milk this for as long as they can and it'll be that much worse for it.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    whatever happens..it is still one freaking huge letdown...

Square has changed so much these past year. Frankly, their downhill started with ps3-360 era.
    Hell, most japanese companies started degrading themselves from that gen (Capcom, Sega, Konami,etc.)

My SNES/ps1/ps2 game collection is like 80% japanese games and fifty of them are signed Squresoft/enix..

On the ps3/360 gen, the only game I have from them is Deus Ex Human Revolution, but that's not really from them...

Edit: More info

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
    -there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
    -They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
    -The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
    -Although it's action style, it has ATB as well. 
    -You can control other party members, but you can keep control one if you want
    -3 party members at a time like the original

[...]

some stuff I didn't put in my first summary

-Character model is supervised by Visual Work's director (square's CG studio). 
    -They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
    -Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.
    -Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
    -Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
    -Cross-dressing is obviously in the game, but Nomura didn't design it yet.
    -All the party member's design is renewed like Barret. 
    -At first they thought of going with AC design of Barret, but decided not to.
    -ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
    -Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152062
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    People are making assumptions nothing more. "oh they are going to cut the story down" why? Who said that? Maybe they are really going with the "1 disc 1 episode system". Content that was in episode 1 is not gone in Episode 2 (if the prior episodes are mandatory) But every episode can just add new stuff while towns stay accessable. "there will be no world map". Why? Nothing is said about that and UE4 can produce some pretty huge world maps, maybe they go for a "overworld map" type for airships. I can imagine the car gameplay being similiar to 15 and the world map beeing split into zones. At the end of the day there are still limitations in a technical way but i dont see why they are going to cut important stuff, especially when a lot of it are fan favorites (minigames, high end bosses...which are a effin trademark for the series). It is really an overreation
    "we do what we can to fit it all in" "they are botching it, cutting it down for the mainstream"
    "no really we try to fit everything in and expand on it" "they are botching it"
    "its episodic, because a full port would ruin us with production cost, take 3 times the personal and take 10 years" "ohhh episodic...they botching it"
    "we do this due to fan request and due to the love of the game" "they hate the fans"

I mean really, maybe give them a chance. Yes Square has done a lot of shit (13 PC Ports, Only the bravest and so forth). But man in my book, they are pretty alright when it comes to the FF mainseries (a series i love like everyone else and 7 beeing basically the most mindblowing game when i was....13??), especially with regards to 15, which shapes up to become an insane game (inb4 paid for demo: that came with a good full game). But what do we know? All infos were pretty supportive of a modern game based on mechanics of the original, with mind blowing visuals and a seemingly gigantic world, considering to what level of detail they seem to bring Midgar alone. Yes 13 sucked, iam not crazy about 10, but man this looks promising.
    But seriously play the modded original if the thought of change is so devastating.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think you are overreacting to people's speculations ;)

i've consistently been hearing for the last few years how the console market in japan is becoming less and less relevant vs mobile and supposedly is a far cry now from days of old so i think the assumption that you are looking at a very cinematic and as such expensive to produce and thus very narrow experience catering to as big a crowd as possible is reasonable. also that it will be milked and monetized six ways from sunday in every which way imaginable.

all i'm wondering about at this point however with their more realistic style is - what on earth does cloud use for his hair? that stuff can't be good long term bro! and will the game come with a pair of polarized glasses to minimize the glare from his sword? :)
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I agree, its gonna be a dissapointment no matter what but they will still get my money. I just cannot ignore the chance to explore this game in a different way. The only thing I hate is the combat, I loved the turn based battle and the materia system from FFVII but I know they will modernise it until its completely unrecognizable and maybe that's a good thing and even an improvement but I am old school and I loved MY FFVII so even if they gave out free puppies with each copy it still wouldn't be as good to me. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I'll forgo the outrage cause the episodic nature actually seems sort of sensible to me, given that game was huge, and to retain the scope of it would take years of development time. It's a good sign that they're not going willing to shorten it into one abridged version.

On the other hand, this makes me queasy as hell:
    "-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts.."
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14

episodic approach is much more make sense. since htey aimed to have as many feature as possible just like the original ff, even more feature than before. 
    SQE acknowledge  their main  weakness : too long to develop.   this is their solution to release title faster without sacrificing the quality. 
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    as long as they keep the humor of the original I am okay with episodic release, besides you can actually cut up the original game/world map into chunks as the areas whilst appearing large were actually fairly linear with choke points until the airship/submarine came around towards the end of it. I actually hope the episodal system allows them to expand upon the original and just take it at a slower pace rather than hopping around at lightning speed. personally I wouldn't mind the entire episodic release structure lasting for 10 years, as long as it is priced correctly.

as others have said episodic releasing is showing to be an effective way at making an expanded game without sacrificing content from development times. It is also more stable from a developers point of view as content can be changed/altered to reflect the player-bases desires = potentially higher sales, it also keeps the IP name in the news as you will be continuing development. basically how many movie franchises work, as many blockbuster brands have effectively gone into an expanded high budget episode format. 

it does mean that we will be paying considerably more for effectively the same story, however since the cost is spread out and future cost is optional, I can live with it.

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems interesting, but it doesn't seem to have that much in common with the game that drove me to buy a PlayStation. I'm not a fan of their new combat system. 

The facial acting bugs me and is really distracting. I hope it's spot on in Japanese and they provide English subtitles, or they rework it for English. It's going to drive me nuts if they just do a half ass'ed audio swap.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Agree about the arm, though I think one of the producers confirmed he was supposed to look sick.

Btw, confirmed it's using UE4 https://www.unrealengine.com/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-built-with-ue4
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.

Everyone always said a game like Final Fantasy VII would be too large to remake in full, so no one thought it would ever happen like that. So them doing this makes total sense to me.

If it means we get a complete remake more power to them. So long as each episode is a good chunk of game, maybe they'll release it by disk number :P