Home Technical Talk

3D Max Transition between two different angles

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
Does anyone know if its possible to have a transition from one angle to another along a edge? I am currently using the "hinge from edge" command under the edit poly menu, however I need my angle to start at 30 and end at 15. Perhaps there is a script or another way of doing this? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    You really need to cut it up into flat quads (or triangles) to guide the surface into a shape you want. A giant n-gon won't be able to read your mind when it comes to creating a contiguous non-flat surface.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks LT_COMMANDER, however I am not worried about  my "gaint n-gon" right now, its just a place holder for my final product. What I am worried about however is figuring out how to make the angle transition I need.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    My first impulse would be to hinge from edge twice, @30 and 15 on opposite ends then bridge them together, might be kinda janky, maybe someone else has a better way.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The surface needs to twist as it goes from one edge across to the other.

I would use a Twist modifier, with a Volume Select below it encompassing those two edges. Then I could add rings as needed to get the deformation looking smooth.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replays guys, I appreciate all the help. I've never used Volume Select so I will have to do some research into how to use it properly and see if this helps. I was hoping there was a simpler way to do this, and in all honesty I am being pretty picky with the exact degrees and perhaps it doesn't even matter how exact they are.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volume Select selects a subobject within its volume. It's there just to force that end of the model to stay selected, so the Twist above it will confine to that part, while you're adding & editing geometry in Editable Poly below it.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    would "attach" the polys from a simple twisted plane, rather than editing via volume, i.e. start from scratch with cleaner geometry than editing this, but haven't modelled in years ;)

shameless plug: the http://allesimfluss.biz/ plugin can handle edge 2 edge transitions

and you can also paint strips with twisting