Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old NOOB challenge concept

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
So I wanted to finish up one of the old environments I had started for the Noob Challenge a few months ago. so, fast forwards a few weeks and now I'm nearing completion. Its all done in substance and Unreal. I had my fair share of problems with unreal lightmaps and the substance painter/unreal workflow. my current problem seems to be roughness/spec and a few new lighting errors... if you have any ideas of how to improve the scene then please let me know. 

concept is here

and here is my slightly modified version!

Replies

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any advice guys and girls?

• IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    I personally like the concept direction a little more. But for yours, you might want to fade the textures more on the floor for sun damage etc... Maybe have that bowl in the middle emit a glow since it looks like it still has some coals burning. Maybe make the arch way bigger. The fire light seems a little to red ish in my opinion, maybe make it a bit more yellow? Same with the incoming sunlight you might want to play around with. Those are just my thoughts on it.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ice, thanks. 

way to hit me in the artistic judgement!. lol i just liked the scarab idea, it sort of stuck in my head. 

yeah i agree on the floor, i might add something more too it as well. feels too CG ATM. 
    for the archway, you mean the doors on the sides? 
    and for the fire light i was just trying to avoid making the light too monotone. will make some changes and see how it looks after that :D anyone with anything else to add?

• IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol the scarabs added are neat, you could def go with it. And yes, I mean the Door ways/entry points on the side, they feel a tad small. And honestly I would probably make the bowl in the center smaller more like the concept, maybe give it some kind of base to stand on? Possibly a scarab leg base or something if you want to add some more contrast.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually you just gave me an amazing idea.  I was thinking once I was done with this to make a fairly detailed environmental prop as even the scarab is pretty simple.  I might make the bowl into a much more detailed centrepiece. Thanks a ton man... This is why I love these forums  

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. i am much more happy with the colour and tone of the lighs. The lights might be a little too dark, they look fine on my main monitor but if you think its too dark i can punch them up a little. Bowl scaled down and doorway up. forgive the clipping in the doorframe. not changed the mesh for the wall behind yet. :)

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a play with the lighting levels, i think this looks much better!

• IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a lot better, especially with the lighting! i noticed you also fixed the floor texture going all the way to the side i forgot to mention that lol. Since its UE4 you might want to throw in a dummy like the concept for size comparison? Just a thought. But i think its really coming along! 
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks. i threw in a fill light to pick the lighting up a bit more. ill post another update tomorrow :)  and yeah, the floor thing was bugging me. it was a bit of a pain to fix because substance painter still lacks any sort of translation of layers so i had to eyeball it, but it still only took a few mins. 

Thanks a lot for the help :) ill get there eventually! :D
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still learning ue4 myself but have you tried playing with the light bounce? Since most of the light should be coming in from the top and entry way shining in maybe increasing the bounce might have helped?

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah  i did, i get annoying lighting errors. its cool. the fill light does a good job. will post in the morning.. too tired ATM :)