Home Technical Talk

Bend Precision

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi, how to measure circle length so that one can model straight on a planar surface and apply bend of 45 degrees (quarter section) without moving bend modifier gizmo parallel in either direction which is the most common method and then adjusting the vertices at curved end. (Thiago method like) Also I plan to keep it all within power of 2.  

P.S I ll be testing out measure utility in max but I doubt it ll work due to typical udk grid setup.  

P.S.S Sorry if my English dont make sense, its early morning where I am and this has not made me sleep properly either.  

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update
    So I quickly tested out measure utility on a 512 diameter circle and it gives you 1608.483 length just as I was expecting it to be , not precise power of 2. In theory I should be able to work with 1/4th length of it, bend and mirror 3 times and call it a day. But it ll take up weird texture space on texture sheet. Haha people will wish I should not be their tech lead now. 

Anyways so made half of it (804.241) bend it and symmetry, now it should be 512 diameter precise but no :neutral: it comes up at 511.966. Guess even after this you have to apply what Thiago has mentioned in his environment guide regarding bends.   

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s = r * theta
    s = length of segment
    r = radius of circle
    theta = angle in radians (2*pi radians = 360 degrees)

ex. 512 diameter circle = 256 radius
    45/360 = x/2pi therefore x = pi/4 radians or 0.785....
    s = 256 * pi/4 = 64*pi = 201.0619298 length of segment
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for explaining the maths behind measure utility. Though could you explain this bit please 45/360 = x/2pi therefore x = pi/4 radians or 0.785....
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure what the initial problem might be, but could this possibly help --> http://hannesdelbeke.blogspot.be/2014/05/modular-arcs.html (especially the link to his Advanced Bend modifier) ?

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT said:
    Cheers for explaining the maths behind measure utility. Though could you explain this bit please 45/360 = x/2pi therefore x = pi/4 radians or 0.785....

Radians are another way of measuring angles but they have no units.  360 degrees equals 2*pi radians.  The 45/360 = x/(2*pi) bit is just a ratio conversion of 45 degrees to the equivalent radians. 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great help CPTSWING and RYANB. Thank you