Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Art Feedback

Gabby
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Gabby polycounter lvl 3
Hi all,

I'm currently into my second year of a Game Art course and am looking for some feedback on a piece I produced earlier in the year (about mid year I think it was). I'm looking for some outside perspective to help push the piece further.

Anubis was sculpted in ZBrush, polypainted in ZBrush and retopologised in Maya. I had planned on touching up the textures in Photoshop, but was very pressed for time and I hadn't got around to updating it just yet.

I might post some more shots later if anyone wants to see topology renders, texture sheets etc... and I have him in some different poses also.

Thanks in advance,

Gabby

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey Gabby,
    I'd start by working the head a little more, since it's a focus point and it looks a little plain right now.
    Do you have any specific reference? Maybe going back and see if you missed any details could benefit you.
    Also consider using a 3D texturing program instead of PS like 3D Coat or Substance Painter.
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should push the pose a little more. It is lacking any real sense of gesture.
    Lighting could be pushed a lot further, Google 3 point light setup this should be a good start.

Definitely touch up the textures in photoshop, they are pretty blurry.
    Depending how much further you want to take you want to take them you could make his abs asymmetrical. This type of symmetry doesn't occur naturally. You could also consider adding some body hair, vascular detail, skin tone variation, dirt and grime to his loin cloth, some colour variation to his neck piece.

Essentially what you have is a nice base coat, but on the plus side there is nowhere to go but up from here.
    Looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blacker head more defined muscles to make it look strong and a different cloth I think would all help it look better. Cloth that hangs alot lower and is like a wrap around thing. Bigger gold behind his head and maybe a pendant/ankh around the neck. Colours much more saturated too. Egyptian things are flashy and colourful.
  • Gabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gabby polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks everyone. I've been M.I.A. for a bit whilst finishing up my course, but I'm all done now and have my Advanced Diploma of Game Art :smile: 

Firith, I did use a bunch of different reference as I had many different and convoluted ideas when I was concepting; one of which was to make Anubis biomechanical. I have had a look into 3D coat for texturing and will probably try it out on a future project as it handles things a little differently than zBrush or Photoshop 3D.

Jacob, I went and made a few quick minor adjustments, although there are a couple of things to note about the design. The pose is intentionally not menacing or overly powerful and I wasn't really going for a hyper-realistic style, although I do feel those are all fair points that I could maybe incorporate in some way to improve it.

Peteed1985, I realised the levels were a wee bit off when I later viewed it on other monitors. I've improved it somewhat, but could definitely do more. I intentionally didn't want Anubis to be too flashy, have big muscles or seem overbearing as a reflection of his personality.