Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elsa [Unity] _ Finished

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
Finished the head model of Elsa. I made the skin material in Shader Forge to get the skin as soft and smooth as it appears in the movie. I made a hair shader as well to catch anisotropic reflections with soft fresnel fading. No editing or post-effects are used.

Crits are welcome.

Replies

• james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost there, I think you just have to fix the nose.
    Yours looks a little more like a snout and is very sharp edged.

• Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure though ? That's true about Anna's nose but Elsa has a pretty sharp edge on her nose. You're right about the angle though, the tip should point a bit more downwards.

• james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I did notice the edge while looking at screens from Frozen Fever, however on your version the edge is slightly more pronounced due to the top of the nose sinking further down than it should.
    So yes there is a edge but if the top area of the nose was adjusted correctly the edge would even out accordingly. And then if the angle was corrected it would all come together.
    Its a tricky one to get right, but you did do a good job with the rest of it so far. ;)
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. I'll edit the nose soon.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made the hair shader more customizable. The anisotropic specularity and overall color will change naturally to the color you set in the editor.

Hoping to get some feedback.

• Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any crits on the latest look ?

• Kingofsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THIS IS AMAZING
    I actually working on an elsa of my own,
    Would it be possible to have this hair texture? :)
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. I'd like to see your Elsa too :smile:
    The hair texture isn't special really, it's just like blurred streaks. The anisotropic hair shader is doing the trick.
    This might help you : http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/wiki/index.php?title=Hair_Shader_by_DMeville

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Lookin' good so far! The main thing that stands out to me is the hair - even if us mere mortals can't come with a million miles of Disney's hair methods, it'd be great to see some alpha planes or something to add some wispiness. Or even without, perhaps it will look more natural to me once the braid is added on. :)

The second thing is the base color of her skin. While she is pale, yes, her skin still has a lot of warmth and pink/peach tone to it. In some of your screenshots, her skin color almost matches the white background. You've got the "smoothness" of her skin, but it lacks the "softness."

Aside from that, I feel like you've done a wonderful job with the Disney stylization! I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress!
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW said:
    Lookin' good so far! The main thing that stands out to me is the hair - even if us mere mortals can't come with a million miles of Disney's hair methods, it'd be great to see some alpha planes or something to add some wispiness. Or even without, perhaps it will look more natural to me once the braid is added on. :)

The second thing is the base color of her skin. While she is pale, yes, her skin still has a lot of warmth and pink/peach tone to it. In some of your screenshots, her skin color almost matches the white background. You've got the "smoothness" of her skin, but it lacks the "softness."

Aside from that, I feel like you've done a wonderful job with the Disney stylization! I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress!
    Thanks for the informative feedback :blush:

I really tried doing the hair with alpha planes but they constantly jump on top of each other because of the transparent drawing order issue.
    I added another reddish layer to the nose and cheeks where the light meets the shadow to add a bit more SSS effect. I also toned down the shadows of the eyes.