Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

death animation(s)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
working up some material to update the reel. the death animation was lacking as someone noted before... so here's new one in the blocking+ phase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS8DMzSU-vM

Is it clear what's happening? Crits/Thoughts/Impressions?

Replies

• slipsius
    If you want a death animation with only 1 guy on screen, I think you need to go more simple with it. Right now, its coming across as very jittery and messy. And I honestly have no idea what or why he's reacting like that. You've got pops all over the place, and his head feels like it's having a seizure. KISS. Keep it simple, silly. 
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    As Slipsius said , it seems that the hits were made by different weapons , the first ones are weak compared with the last one. Maybe a handgun following a shotgun?
    If he is receiving the shots to the head I think it would of been dead at the beginning , if not the movement should be in the body and less in the head
  • HenrikW
    Offline / Send Message
    HenrikW polycounter lvl 6
    Like Slipsius and Arturow already mentioned, the animation feels a bit messy, and you get no clear idea of what kind of weapon he's being hit with or where he's being hit. To make the animation clearer and simpler I'd figure out excactly what kind of weapon he's being hit by and keep the force of the impacts the same throughout the whole animation.

You may also want to either have him getting hit fewer times, make the animation longer, or just tone down the reaction to each impact a little bit.
    At the moment it feels like the character is moving too much in such a short amount of time.

That being said, I do like the movements you have blocked out for the body, it just feels like it's happening too fast and the head is kind of all over the place  :p

Hope that helps :smile: 
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    There's no way to include the context without making it much longer. I'll save it for some other time.
    for now, simplified.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_QUlrZsb0

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Smmooth and pretty believable! Nice job on the latest. I'd speed up a bit the part where he's in the air being thrown..
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Wow that went really well Hito!!
    I agree with Blond and for the last movement (the recovery of the overlap) it may be much . But the animation itself looks like mocap of how well it is , good job! loving the arm at the end :)!
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Tightened up the first one. doing another one. Quite fun and goes pretty fast too. I'll do 3 different ones for a short montage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKnhx4_1h0
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Man, it's even better. I wonder, how do you manage to make them so beliavable with all the small details and stumbling? Is there a trick? Experience?

You're pretty good at it..and fking fast too!!
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Do you even take reference or..?
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    didn't take reference. I'd probably break my hips trying it. real world deaths aren't dramatic enough. worked in layers... and treat every mass (hips, upper torso, hands/feet) as a bouncing ball. do the hips 1st pass (things look crazy broken because hand/feet are in world space), then torso, then arms and legs naturally follows the body masses. head's last. for the bounces 4 frame spacing seems to work well most of the time, 3 can work sometimes. 2 is usually too fast. Adjust/break tangents in graph editor to get more subtle stuff near the end.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Tightened up the 2nd one a bit, might still need some attention; blocking out 3rd
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdhUCGXfD4c
  • slipsius
    Hey man, I think you should add an idle pose to the start of your hits. I think it will help you get a feel for how fast the hit reaction should be. Right now, it feels like they just arent being hit strong enough. Going slowly through the air at the start.  An idle pose will help not only you, but the viewer as well. It gives us a second to see what is happening. He's standing there, then BOOM, right in the shoulder, or where ever he gets hit.