Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bearzerkers -Harvest Hell Art Progress

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
RabbitBrains polycounter lvl 7
Just thought I should start up a thread for the newest 3d environment I'll be creating with my team for Bearzerkers. The broad design of the level is grey boxed and the the lighting and colour correction filter on the camera is finalised.
The camera will always be on this fixed isometric angle but will zoom back and forth depending on the multiple players positions (averaging between them and leaving a buffer space for UI).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to more details of the game then here's a video on it.

The current thing I am working on is the foliage texture map and heres a screen sot of the wheat that will surround the level. The only thing done for this is the normal and ao with a simple gradient. The albedo and ss texture is not done on it.
The engine used is Unity 5.

Replies

• RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thought I would do an update on what I did this week.
    I ended up playing with the lighting,skybox and colour correction filter on the camera  as shown below to be less intense. I also decided to replace the collison greybox visual with a simple tileable fence used in prvious levels and started to redo the splat map of the level (not done yet). I started to create more crop lines on the harvest machine so it looked like it would be a hazard to the players and more indicative of the grinders presence.

After one of my co workers told me that wheat could do with some downsizing on the texture map plan I made as it wasn't going to take up much pixel space on screen (which I agree with him) it kindof offset the relation and intended proportion of everything else I planned to put in the texture sheet so I decided to reorganize the planned space better and though of a couple of more extra variants on the vegetation texture sheet (seen in 3).

I then ended up baking the normals for the carrot leaves and adding a gradient of colour to either one to fit in with the scene. I may end up making the carrot shoots a tad bit smaller than shown below.

I'm also planning to added a crop dirt patch to make it look more like a garden patch later on a different texture sheet.
    I also started a high poly scultp of the pumpkin which will be symmetrical on x and y axis and made the low poly model of it with the vertex normals facing the correct way. I'm planning on distorting the shape of the pumpkin and making variants on that after baking the high poly later on. 

• RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while. Was sick for a bit and then all of the team took a break from the project to do contract work for the Queensland government but am back to it!

I've continued to bake the ao/normals/ make the low poly mesh of everything planned on the foliage texture sheet. I made a bundle of hay that I was struggling with for a bit in terms of making it fit the style. Not sure if I like how round and soft the leaves for the pumpkin and squash are as the other leaves have a sharper silhouette. I was intending to make four different carrots on the allotted space I gave each a different colour but then decided the change the mesh to be radishes,parsnips and beetroots on top of carrots to give more variation. I also changed the primary carrot leaves on each of them to be a bit more suited to each root vegetable. The normals on the bunched up root vegetables isn't facing the right way ( I initially only intended them to be just sprouting from the dirt) so I'll reverse them for the ones in that position. 

I made  two 'rogue' meshes/textures to suit the intended farm look. One of them being the crop rows seen in the first image.It blends in with the tiled dirt texture on the splat map and shares an albedo and normal map in the detail map of the tiled dirt texture. The other being a tiled texture for tree bark. I'm referencing a Japanese maple tree and have started making the high poly bakes for the branch variations in the foliage map.

On top of that I spent a while optimizing the terrain mesh and cleaning it up a bit. I then unwrapped both and used separate materials for the playable area and outer viewable area  so more detail can be painted into the playable area. 

I haven't applied any albedo or specular/smoothness maps to any of assets ( at least the ones that haven't pre-existed in other levels of the game) so I will be trying to do a similar style to the crystal track level below. The setting is meant to be an over grown crystal mine site with haphazardly made surfaces. 

Tell me if you see anything wrong with my progress and I'll try to fix it!
  • RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the high poly for the first branch variation, baked the normal and ao and applied that to my existing tree trunk to see what it looked like. I applied block colours to the albedo with slight variation to the hue on a few of them. 

The tree is only intended to be used as a background asset outside the outer border of the player area. 
  • RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did the second tree and came to the conclusion that both of them (but mostly the yellow tree) looked like a leaf pile so I pulled the trunk of the tree down and added roots. The only thing left on the texture sheet I need to bake down and create is the lettuce before making the albedo and specular/smoothness map.

• RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message

Hey quick update. Decided to take a break from plants. I'm using the buildings for another level on this one for now (with the roof colour changed to more of a berry red). 
    My biggest worry at the moment is that the colour of the houses are going to be overpowering :/.  I made a test of the lettuce leaf aswell and am not satisfied with the way it looks. I may just restart it or just change the leaf arrangement to be more closely packed and circular.
  • RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message
    So its been a while. Have been doing contract work for a while and have come back to this a month ago. Finished up most of the environment art apart from the giant harvester at the centre of the level . 
    Gif of progress here : 

and a more close up shot here : 

I ended up kit bashing the house assets in this and dragged some generic assets found in previous levels onto here aswell. The harvester needs to be shrunk down a bit so it stops colliding with the art in the non playable area and I might add a few things here and there to the splat map for the terrain. 
  • Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    Cool stuff, always a fan of the painterly type stylized assets. I'm guessing this may be some set up for a mobile game?
  • RabbitBrains
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Its initially for pc and ps4. Its a four player local multiplayer game and I can't imagine the controls transferring well over to mobile. I don't think the level of detail and size of the assets would hold up on mobile either  :p