Home General Discussion

Human Eye /eyelashes Glare ( natural Lens Flares)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
xvampire polycounter lvl 14
Hi , I am looking for the example natural lens flares, since not all lens flares suitable for non -sci fi theme,

ok be serious arif ... ^^, 

couldnt find any , this is one of the example i can find, 
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/lens-flares/

another picture i found in wikipedia

"vintage" Glare  www.rebeccalily.com

should i use lens flares in fantasy genre? or not use it at all?

bonus , what causing eye cancer : 
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/eye-cancer-poll.98421/
^ disclaimer, I also did and enjoy game with lots of those effect, so i just want to listen and be better in the future.

Replies

• Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    should i use lens flares in fantasy genre? or not use it at all?

You can use any lens effects/pfx as long as you use them well.

edit: by well, I mean that they either make sense for your game/environment or are used subtly.

for lens flares try to follow the rule that they are an additional piece of information in the frame and if they are necessary. what purpose do they serve the story? in many films they are used to suggest something or give/reinforce ideas of location or emotion. a few examples listed from the top of my head,

* flare from a daylight sun helps push the idea of warmth or intensity (think of desert shots where the sun is a small intense spot with a sharp flare)

* at sunset they can be used to give direction to the lighting, or add a splash of contrast/colour to an otherwise flat/monotone image, or even highlight the focal point or point of interest in the scene.

* in practical lighting they can be used to introduce location, with cinema projectors & stage lighting being the most obvious case of use. They can also be used to show an intensity in lights creating silhouetting (car/train headlamps at night) or again pointing out a focal point (car, train, searchlights, distant unknown event/object)

That said it does depend on your art direction, for myself lens flares are best used sparingly and in context to the story/scene. The only time anyone should see a lens flare is when you want them to and for a reason.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    This is my own bias but I would personally avoid using len's flare or treat it like an afterthought instead of something central.

While the effect is realistic, it makes an artwork look like you're staring directly into the sun or a bright light source, which is something we almost never do in real life.  :/

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well our eyes adjust, cameras dont, lens flares dont really occur naturally that much. the question you should ask yourself is, are you looking through a camera, or a pair of eyes?
    I would suggest using bloom instead of flares if you feel uncertain about it.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    eyes do create some lens flare, but as we only have a single lens and iris configuration thaey are alot more simple without the multiple shapes that the geometric shapes of a camera lens produce

extra water or dirt on the eyeball creates more distinct "flares" and cromatic effects, but your eyes are generally evolved over millions of years to produce as little flaring as possible

heres a good paper/video/study (actually just video cant find the paper that went with it)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewKMOodT1Y