Home Technical Talk

Animating multiple pages of a popup book in Max

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
So I'm working on an animation that consists of a pop up book that needs to turn to at least 6 pages. There's plenty of tutorials for animating pages in a book, but the problem I'm having is that a pop up book has to be flat whenever it opens and is set up a lot different from a regular book's spine. I went to the bookstore today for reference and I can't figure out how to rig the way it is in the photo. I looked at BookRigger  V3, and thought I could just open it up to the middle of the book where its the same amount of pages forward and back so it'd lie flat, but not sure if that will give me the effect I want. I'm open to fudging it a little if need to be. I'm not much of a rigger at all, and this might be something super simple that I'm missing on, but any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Pop up book pages are normally very stiff unlike regular books, which makes things easy. All you need to do is bind/skin each page to its own bone/joint, and rotate those one at a time. The popup itself is just two joints with an IK solver linked to a split point somewhere along the pages bone. Example:

Now if you want to do it with something like BookRigger, you'd only add bones to the popup parts and using a dummy that's linked to the IK handle attach it to a face/vert on the page (via motion tab > assign controller > position:attachment).
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, thanks for the example. Gonna mess around with it a bit more later on tonight.