Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Smash! WIP

EVernier
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
EVernier polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,
This is a Work in Progress of something I started yesterday. Looking for feedback! Thanks!

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello Evernier!

That looks awesome!!

- It looks strange that he jumps to screen left and then lands screen right :P I would place the camera to follow his motion.
    - I don't know if his left foot needs to slide while in the punch motion , maybe after because the strength of the punch comes from his planted foot.
    - His left hand makes this back and forth movement really fast that it looks like a pop, maybe try to half the actual distance it travels. His right hand makes a nice arc!

Hope it helps and good work! :)!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, jump screen left, landing screen right is called breaking the line. the 180 rule. It's a general no no.

the characters left (screen right) foot needs some more ball roll action. It seems pretty stiff right now. Especially when he bends down to jump. your heel would usually go down when you bend down.

His end pose, he looks very bow legged. Bring his right knee in more. Looks kind of broken right now.

Besides that, I really like this! good job.
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, the Jump Slam is cool but the punch seems weird. His right arm doesn't seem natural and kind of snaps back to where it started after the punch. Theres no reason for him to bring his arm all the way back over his shoulder again unless he's going for a second punch, maybe have him bring it back around his hip and into the pose he has just before he jumps.
  • Chaucer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaucer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,

Looks pretty cool so far. There's a lot of things you can do to make those punches and slam hit and feel a little harder though.

For the first punches. You should favor the anticipates and the results of each punch a bit more (Hold/favor them for 1 or 2 more frames) while taking away some betweens on each punch. This will help the punches hit harder and read more clearly. 

Also his left arm isn't selling the punches that much. Sometimes you can use the other arm to help counter weight the punch a bit more to make the punch feel more forceful as well as enhance the poses. Right now its kinda swinging casually by his side. Not really adding to the weight and force of the those punches. It's almost there but not quite.

For the slam. Right before he hits, really swing his arms back behind him. Right now they look just over his head, really push the contrast between each action. So like Backwards 'C-shape' line of action and then 'normal' C shape like of action for the slame.

If you upload your video to http://syncsketch.com/
    I can help draw over for additional feedback.

Hope that helps. :)