Character Topology Help

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Jordan Best polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, I 've been retopologizing my Zbrush sculpt to create a base mesh (freeform tools 3DS MAX) for my Dwarf character this is the first time doing a humanoid character. Along the way I have been trying to maintain decent edge flow and right at the end I've noticed some monstrosities and I have no idea.  

Front View - I've been attempting to keep to the topology flow of references.

Back View - The topology around the Lats really needs cleaning up I don't know how I got into that.

This is what I assume is a major problem, selecting the edge/poly it loops like a snake around the model. What sort of problems will this cause? The character will be rigged/posed but I would like it to be an animation ready character.  

I would greatly appreciate the help and feedback, Thanks! 

Replies

• skankerzero
    **moved to appropriate location**

Right now I don't have a lot of time to give any decent feedback with paintovers but the issue you have on the lats is the least of your worries.

Right off the bat, the loops on the face make no sense at all. Could you post the references you're looking at?

I just did a very quick search for 'face topology' and got this thread.  http://polycount.com/discussion/80005/face-topology-breakdown-guide/p1

or

https://www.google.com.br/search?espv=2&biw=2070&bih=1838&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=face+topology+3d&oq=face+topology&gs_l=img.3.1.0l10.111216.113666.0.116764.13.9.0.2.2.0.595.1285.3-2j0j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.img..9.4.705.yMRo1go33QE
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 polycounter lvl 9
    This is super old, but I still use the principles in this tutorial when thinking about general polygon flow for joints.  I think one of the problems you are having is that you have too many loops flowing into one another and its too highpoly for you to manage at this point.  In the end, its all about deformation so maybe this will help: http://67.159.210.71/tut02/tut02_01.htm
  • Jordan Best
    Offline / Send Message
    SKANKERZERO MOD 
    November 6
    Right off the bat, the loops on the face make no sense at all. Could you post the references you're looking at?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, here's my reference sheet:

BRADMYERS82 
    This is super old, but I still use the principles in this tutorial when thinking about general polygon flow for joints.  I think one of the problems you are having is that you have too many loops flowing into one another and its too highpoly for you to manage at this point.  In the end, its all about deformation so maybe this will help: http://67.159.210.71/tut02/tut02_01.htm

That link is actually a great help thankyou! This is my first attempt at character retopology but it's something I really want to get right, best option I think would be to start it again and really plan every section of the model. 

• Jordan Best
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently going at it again trying to get things right this time. I feel like I am slowly going off track like i'm playing minesweeper I could completely mess the entire thing up so I'll post increments of my progress. 

I would appreciate any feedback with my current progress.

Right now I've got to a point with the nose and not sure how to tie it off as such.

I feel like I have too much information already after watching a few videos everyone seems to start big, but I think my face start making tris when I blockout really big similar to this:

• Zodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 6
    Most of the big issues have already been commented (face loops) on but this is something i think can help you with retopo in general.
    Take a closer look at the references, both yours, and the ones linked by other people earlier in this thread, what sticks out the most to me is the shape of the polygons, more precisely they are too elongated ( mainly strip below the eye, to the right of the selection ), while the ones in all of the references referenced ( i know :) ) are pretty squared, now its obvious that its nearly impossible to make perfectly squared polygons on a face but keeping them as square as possible produces better results, as well as saving a lot of headaches in the uv-ing phase.

• Boozebeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 4
    Try and keep the loops more evenly spread. Around the eyes for example you have some loops really close together and then the next loop 5 times the distance away (it looks a lot better in your more recent picture) . It's a lot easier to control stuff like that if you start off as low poly as you can, I like to put in all the major loops first then connect them up, and once everything is blocked out start adding edge loops to smooth it out, or even sub divide it. Also don't be afraid of using triangles to close off loops, sometimes you are going to get a lot of loops flowing into much smaller areas and it will get really dense and hard to manage. Just try and keep the triangles away from areas of deformation.

You're quite far gone at this point with this model, already a lot of topology to manage. It would probably be easier to either start over or just keep this in mind for your next model. You're only going to get better with practice anyway :)

I always reference back to this site when I'm retopoing http://hippydrome.com/
  • Jordan Best
    Offline / Send Message

BOOZEBEARD 

Try and keep the loops more evenly spread. Around the eyes for example you have some loops really close together and then the next loop 5 times the distance away (it looks a lot better in your more recent picture) . It's a lot easier to control stuff like that if you start off as low poly as you can, I like to put in all the major loops first then connect them up, and once everything is blocked out start adding edge loops to smooth it out, or even sub divide it. Also don't be afraid of using triangles to close off loops, sometimes you are going to get a lot of loops flowing into much smaller areas and it will get really dense and hard to manage. Just try and keep the triangles away from areas of deformation.
    You're quite far gone at this point with this model, already a lot of topology to manage. It would probably be easier to either start over or just keep this in mind for your next model. You're only going to get better with practice anyway 
    I always reference back to this site when I'm retopoing http://hippydrome.com/

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have started again blocking in the bulk forms for now it's so much easier to work with and easy to add more information. I'm really trying to keep everything in quads as i'll be taking it back into Zbrush once i've finished.

My new current progress I've moved on from the face to block out the chest and shoulders it's taking me a long time, i'm still trying to understand where to use poles and creating loops. Hopefully I'm on the right track at the moment.

• AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    There's no need to keep your mesh all quads, ZBrush will subdivide a triangle into a quad pole so it's really no worse than using a quad pole. As long as you don't use too many you'll be fine.