Home General Discussion

The state of Cryengine

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
So I was wondering how things are going with this engine? I haven't touched it since 2012. How is the community? Did they implement an easy FBX import? How is support?  I sort of want to try it but my plate is full of Unity and Unreal so before I spend my time on it I want to know if it's worth it. I've always liked its realtime nature and how it looked but I don't think it's doable for indie production unless you have a lot of experience with it.

Replies

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    '' I sort of want to try it but my plate is full of Unity and Unreal so before I spend my time on it I want to know if it's worth it.''
    Everybody is having the same meal cuz most people plate is full of the same thing too haha.

More seriously, it does seem like a good engine but apprentlly, it's not as user friendly as U4 nor Unity...it's the only thing I heard about it.

• loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    It has drastically improved since the release of EaaS on Steam, lots of bugs fixed and new features (still a bit unstable though). Community is nothing to write home about, full of beginners and few people that excel share information plus a lot of overall cringe worthy stuff. They do have FBX support now, but i'm not sure if it's 100% functional (limited to static objects).

Crytek is still a bit quiet, still no roadmap, things can take a long time to get fixed etc. You are still better off using UE4 if you are an indie developer without much experience as there isn't full source, documentation is still a bit lackluster (but getting better).

I would recommend it if you are trying to create a beautiful scene as it's still arguably a better renderer than UE4 (especially performance wise), a functional game on the other hand will not be easy unless as i said you have a good amount of experience.