Home Technical Talk

Suffer Gimbal lock ?

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
When laying down Joints, how does one know if the joints laid are prone to Gimbal lock ?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The second axis of a joint is what you need to pay attention to, on all joints. So, if your axis order is XYZ then the Y axis is going to be the one that you want to be doing the least rotation on.

In Max, you can change a joints axis order via motion tab > PRS Parameters: Rotation > Euler parameters: Axis order

In Maya, you can either change the rotation order via the Attribute Editor, or rotate the pivot directly so the Y axis (assuming XYZ order) is oriented to be the least used; With joint selected in rotation mode, set axis orientation to component and enable pivot mode (in Tool Settings), then rotate it however you want (in 90 degree increments).

This video explains the basics of gimbal lock:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8b2Jo7mno

Of course, this is assuming you're using Euler rotation. If you're using Quaternion then gimbal lock is a non-issue, but you'll lose the ability to work with animation curves if you go that route.

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    If it rotates up to 90° at any point in the Y or Z axis when using a Euler controller, so make good use of your X axis.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know Gimbal lock is two axis aligning, for example, X & Y :smile:

If it rotates up to 90° at any point in the Y or Z axis when using a Euler controller, so make good use of your X axis.
    ?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I'm getting old, just go with what Polyhertz said.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You just had to explain yourself better, I'm getting older as well, you need to eat more sugar, it helps :smile:
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz - When you say enable pivot mode do you mean the rotate pivot and set it to another mode, or Discrete rotate ? Sorry, where does one set the axis orientation to component, you mentioned the tool settings, but where in particular ? Why not  change the mode from local to gimbal ? You can change the rotation order in Maya ?

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yes you can change the rotation order in Maya (via Attribute Editor) if you want to do it that way.
    By pivot mode I mean press the 'Insert' key. Rotate as in the 'E' key. In tool settings > rotate settings > 'axis orientation' should be the very first thing listed. Gimbal rotation is good for testing if an axis will be causing you issues, but I don't find it really important past that during the rigging process itself.

Sorry if this isn't specific enough, I only use Max these days and am going off what I remember doing in Maya years ago to get around this issue. :/