Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Need your impressions on my Walk Cycle

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAt4034TM8Q

Hey! We all know, you can never practice those enough. Even though, it's finisehd, I'd like to  hear your crits so I can improve for future works! Please don't hold back and be picky if you want to.

I tried to go for a natural confident walk. 
I'd like to know if this quality is enough for a game animation reel or I need more polishing/correction?

(I will upload a better quality video soon).

Previously, I worked on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICnD9MM6Ek

DO you think this one's better or I improved (even though I went for a more bouncy motion with this one)?

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello BLOND,

I don't know which I like the most haha , I like the shoulders on your rig and the head of Mery.
    - The head on your rig looks like maybe a curve is not that smoothed ( maybe the end of the cycle is not the same of the beginning?) It does this tiny pop , not a big deal but my eyes got it >.<
    - Maybe you could bring her hands more to the center when she swings it to the front. ( making a tiny infinity symbol from the front view)
    - And I think that you could do more Translation in Y to her hips :)

Just my opinion , take what it helps you :)! awesome job!
  • HeyGafilimore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeyGafilimore polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice walk cycles! Weight is great and you've definitely nailed down the mechanics of it. It certainly is natural.

I'm not, however, really getting any confidence in this. It seems like just more of a casual walk than anything else. I would suggest, going forward with other animations, pushing your exaggeration a bit more. Like this, for example, could really benefit from her body leading her footsteps a bit more and maybe some more control in the arm swing. Not quite a power walk, but you also don't want swinging/swaying arms. Confidence is purposeful, like you know where you're going and god damnit you're gonna fuck shit up when you get there. I know you're moving forward but that mindset may help with other animations.

As far as polish goes, though, you're pretty much there as far as I'm concerned. Very smooth and organic, keep up the good work!
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Oh my! Thank you for the comments! ARTUROW, I do noticed the head was a lil bit jittery, but I thought I could leave it so it seems more organicé Though, you're right, it does need some smoothing! I'll try to see what I can do with the arms swinginng.

HEYGAFILIMORE, indeed, I was scared of pushing because I didn't want it to look too cartoony! But you're right! It does feel natural but she lacks that little ''oomph'' indeed!  

I'll correct some little stuff and reupload in higher quality! Thx for the feedback guys!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Some good walks!

The side view for Mery, if you look at her butt, it's very stiff. Doesn't seem to move what so ever. It's hard to tell if you have much forward/back tilt on the hips, but if you do, it isn't much. Looks like the hips are rotated forward, then just go side to side. Try and add some tilt (Pelvic thrusts, basically)

Also, one major thing that stands out to me are your feet. You have no side to side translation. They stick to a straight line. It's something a lot of beginner walk cycles do. Not that these are beginner. They are rather good. Just something to take it to the next level. 

Which do I like better? hmmmm... If you`re going for confident, I think each one has aspects of that, that if merged together would be fantastic. The first one has a better arm swing going on that has that strut look to it. It could even be exaggerated more though. But I think the speed and timing of the second walk, and the bit of a bobbing up and down you have works better than the first. So if you added the upper body swagger that you have in the first to the timing of the second, it would be a killer walk. 

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Very nice Blond!

One thing that stuck out to me is the stride length is rather short, that implies timid. It doesn't mesh well with the posture and timing, which is projecting confidence as you intended. Would be worth while to do some confident walk yourself and note how far your front heel is ahead of your back toe at full stride.