Home General Discussion

Epic's "Paragon"

Replies

• Technomancr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    Feels like SMITE, Overwatch, Paladins...and the next monthly MOBA-based game to launch.
    I guess I can't necessarily blame them for wanting to jump on the MOBA bandwagon...
    oh wait...yes I can! Come on Epic, do something original!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You haven't even seen what they do. Picking a genre or mixing 2 genres is nothing unoriginal. Execution is everything.
  • Technomancr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry, but no...you're right. It's obvious that this game has a lot of polish, and the art looks fantastic - there's no question about that. The game play and experience might be well executed in the end, but I just feel that the world doesn't need another MOBA-type game.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    So, this game looks absolutely beautiful. the art is stunning. But I`m actually with the Booo MOBA's crowd on this. That said, Im actually excited for this game, just not for the reasons most are.

For me, it's more about what the mod / indie community will do with it. I`m hoping that with all the tech they are using, a lot of it will be released to the UE4 crowd. MOBA's were created through Warcraft 3's editor, right? A group of guys took the editor and came up with a new genre, or at least, improved on a style of gameplay that was thus far unpopular and outdated. So I`m hoping that this sort of polish in a moba that is using an engine as powerful and as popular as UE4, will lead to someone coming up with something new and exciting. Saying ok, MOBA's are great, but I want to try something new. Or I think I can improve on the current model. 

That's my dream, at least. This game really can be huge for the industry. Let's see how it pans out.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Sorry, but no...you're right. It's obvious that this game has a lot of polish, and the art looks fantastic - there's no question about that. The game play and experience might be well executed in the end, but I just feel that the world doesn't need another MOBA-type game.
    "Hey this does not affect my life in any way, but the world does not need this although many people are clearly enjoying it and nobody is hurt by it"  (Gay marriage anyone ?)

There are like 15 real moba games, of which 5 actually have a playerbase.
    Have a look how many RPGs exist per example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_games_by_name
    There exist alone more final fantasy titles than all Mobas combined in the world.

But 6 Moba games is too much ? Can people even count that high ? Come on now.

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Personally, my disappointment with it being a MOBA is that I dont like MOBA's, and since I had no idea what the game was during all their teasing of it, I was hoping it would be a different genre, since I have huge respect for Epic and was hoping it would be something I would enjoy. I know I probably wont play the game because it's just not a genre I enjoy, but Im sure there will be plenty of people who do and will. That's fine by me. 

That said, it does seem like there are a lot of high profile moba's or team/class based shooters coming out. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm tired of all the MOBAs I have played, but I still enjoy them from time to time. I'm curious to see how much Paragon mixes up the status quo. I'll definitely play it, hopefully Epic will have a workshop with community content like DOTA2. 

• Quotidian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quotidian polycounter lvl 2
    The more posts I read by Tidal Blast, the less it seems like he has anything insightful to say about games in general. Overwatch has more in common with LOL than FPS games - are you out of your mind? "Pure fps"? What the hell is that even supposed to be?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Quotidian said:
    The more posts I read by Tidal Blast, the less it seems like he has anything insightful to say about games in general. Overwatch has more in common with LOL than FPS games - are you out of your mind? "Pure fps"? What the hell is that even supposed to be?
    It means Quake 3
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hey guys,

NDA Lifted, people have been streaming: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Paragon
    Also, Early Access available. Can purchase now, play Friday: https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/

game is super fun and pretty!! Come playyyyyyyy :D 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I REALLY like the animation advancements they did for Paragon and are adding to Unreal 4.11, like speed warping and anim dynamics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UOY-FMm-xo

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the art and animation are amazing, it's worth downloading and playing just to take a look at it. 
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I hope they increased movementspeed and general pacing since when I last played, it was painfully sluggish, I expected a action-y mix out of a arena shooter and moba, but it was far slower paced than all the competitors that embrace the third person perspective and the heroic movement that is not possible in the RTS space. It feels like Epic did not use the opportunity to experiment and instantly settled with a core aesthetic out of contextly derived from another games and then pushed into the wrong direction. Currently it offers the controls of a RTS moba with the diversity of a FPS moba, which can not work out. Theres one way to pull this off, and that is to leverage Epics strengths (Budget, Engine capabilities (Physics, Collisions -> Movement) Experience in FPS + Arena FPS space) and make something that utilizes the map, engine, movement knowledge and the third person camera to make something that stands out and feels alive and worth the mastery.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Pacing and movement speed was the biggest complaint when I played in alpha, I think they have turned it up and are still playing with it. 
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I watched a stream 5 minutes ago and the Z axis is still not used apart of from simple jumps, and the person was moving at a crawl, a speed that is easily lower than you would relatively move in Dota without purchased boots. I expect they increased the movementspeed by 10-30% but that will not do. Also its not only the speed, its the damage, emphasis on laning phase and last hitting and other things that tie it together. I really want to be optimistic tho.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I agree the game is very slow but has a lot of potential. Love the deck system feels like Yu gi oh! On the technical side, i run it with an i3 gtx660 and the game looks gorgeous... Very smooth, they really managed to give this game huge optimizations. Didn't expect less coming from Epic, nice job!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    They recently made some pretty big/sweeping changes to movement speed that drastically changed how the game plays and feels. My main is Gideon and while i think i play him pretty well and i've now got a fairly solid build for him, the character himself is only really good for lane clearance at the moment. Because there is no movement speed penalty in combat now, people just run outside of all the AOE abilities (which is all someone like Gideon has).

So i'm looking forward to a rumoured upcoming caster balance patch.

The game definitely feels like it's in very early beta. Lots of things need tweaking or outright fixing. Some things feel a little odd, the card system for example while fun, also feels unfair for casual players in that they gain cards at a slower rate than people who play more often, and this really does give a distinct advantage to those who play more. Also, because you can buy reputation boosters, you can in a way describe this element of the game as pay to win.

But i would definitely recommend giving it a go, if only to look at the artwork.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Pickups are casual ? What is this even supposed to mean ? Pickups are a part of the game, same as everything else. If you have no demands out of a FPS other than having basic weapons to shoot each other, then there are plenty of games out there you can play that fit your demands. Also on one side you say the game has to evolve, but on the other side you don't want games to bring in new things that make gameplay more exciting and diverse, such as pickups. Pickups add depth and replayability to the game.

Also It looks like you are under the misconception that skill is only mechanical skill, but there are many other skills to have in a FPS of which plenty are untapped by the games you have in high regard. People don't want games that focus purely on mechanics and spatial awareness, people want games with more depth, games demanding more and higher skill and have a higher skill floor and ceiling, than games like quake could ever offer. That is why Dota is popular and CS is the most played FPS.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Nobody forces you to use pickups. If they make your gameplay boring, just don't use them.

Back on the topic, I just played Paragon again and If I didnt know that movement was changed, I wouln't have noticed. Its a bit faster I suppose, but nothing in the dynamics has really changed it feels. Epic is playing it way to careful. Now is the time they can affort to experiment.
  • Ffdspline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ffdspline polycounter lvl 4
    I hope epic will make something like steam workshop. It will be great to make some skins of characters.
    Meanwhile there is lack of players, it's ok to wait 10-15 mins in lobby screen rightnow. Maybe we should wait release day, when paragon become free to play.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i have a code if anyone wants to play.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    I bought it because I like supporting Epic. But I find the art style really jarring. Something just doesn't work with the more realistic art style / shaders and the fantasy elements.  Everything feels like a poorly composited CG scene in a movie.  I guess I'm just used to more painterly textures when I play a MOBA.  I'm much more excited for Fortnight than Paragon, tbh.