Home General Discussion

Minimum Wage Artists

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I saw this get posted by Noah Bradley this morning and I think it is worth a read.  I mainly bring it up since I've seen a number of positions go up on the boards here offering minimum wage or other amounts that are pretty low considering the scope of a project.  I know some projects work post royalties or other payment methods but I have seen some projects want AAA assets for less money than you'd make flipping burgers.  In any case it's an interesting breakdown.

https://medium.com/@noahbradley/minimum-wage-artists-4f8e00024a4

Replies

• artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I concur! really good points. Also his art is awesome. Not sure how I haven't heard of him before. 
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    When freelancing I tend to see this more often than when I have had studio gigs. A huge site that has horrendous expectations for very little pay is freelancer.com (or whatever it is). People constantly asking (of course you don't have to bid) for AAA work or close to it for what comes out to like 8-10 US dollars an hour. The problem is that there are some people taking these gigs which totally devalues our craft.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can make far more money easily on Unity asset store or similar asset stores.  Plus you retain all of the rights and can use it in your portfolio.