Home General Discussion

What do you do to pay the bills?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
RogerP polycounter
I'm sitting here at my desk about to start my day at a job that pays the bills, but I despise most days. I work at a well known tech company as a technical support advisor. I'm sure some of you have done the same or are doing the same right now.

So...other than 3D what's your current profession? Hopefully something related to art in some way, I'm curious to know. I'm sure not everybody has the option to live in their parents basement until they make it in the industry.   :D

Replies

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    My mom says school is my job for now so I should take it very seriously :neutral: 
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Before I worked in the industry, I worked retail. Luckily I was one of the managers, so I was able to have a schedule that worked with my college classes. Still, lots of long days of work, then four hours of class, then home to work on projects all night. 
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    When ive not been able to study 3D ive taken two long term jobs, one was manager of a net cafe, and later night time lone security worker, first one I was on a computer with 95% + downtime, could even add time to the computers from the terminal and fill in the accounts, so could do what I like, 2nd one I was on my own guarding a place for security purposes, so I spent most of my time on a laptop, also just getting paid to study, read books and do CG more or less.

I have been pretty lucky in that way, but that's two jobs I have had where I just get paid to show up, so they are out there if you aren't quite industry ready but need study time.

Also made some decent cash around the dogecoin boom and doing crypto trading, so its a good idea to keep wise on the going ons in tech, you might be able to make money through pure SEO and advertising, might not even be a lot I have heard of people making thousands to 10-20 bucks a week, but its better then nothing.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I worked in a restaurant on weekends during my college years. Then for about 8 or 9 months after, I worked full time in that restaurant until I got my first industry gig. Took a pay cut when I went to the industry job as well, just for that coveted "foot in the door"
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electronics technologist for a while then ten years in games industry as tech artist, left industry and became a journeyman electrician for five years, now back in the games industry as a tech artist.  I enjoy working on games but I also enjoy electronics.  Probably going to stick with games this time and save my other skills for personal projects.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I was working in the produce department at a grocery store before landing my first gig. Quit it half way through school and managed to land my first gig about a year later (3-6 months after my school course ended). Been working ever since and even fully paid off my loans.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Currently I'm working within the industry, however not within my prefered area, art, working as Danish QA Language Lead. Trying to get back into the habit of doing 3D each day and doing some game related stuff. Also working on getting a bit more into shape, to get some more energy after a long day of "Damn-those-bugs" at work, so I don't just relax with netflix. ;)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I put on my dress and high heels and hang in Walmart parking lots...
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Currently working on military training simulations. Before that, I was working in stereoscopic 3d conversion for film, doing compositing.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    currently going through a career change... still running my own indie games studio but freelancing as an Engineer (programmer) these days!
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Currently I light some things, turn on shadows for some things, and tweak some materials on other things. 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey ARKARIA, it's pretty cool, I'm pretty sure there's a good number of simulations companies around, too. I don't believe we use Motion Builder, I would assume that would depend on the project.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Unzip and i'll show you :D
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Took me a second to get that one GIR, oh gawd haha

More seriously though, sell drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. And when those drugs are sold. Sell more. Sell them to your friends, neighbors, family, the six year old who rides his tricycle down the street.

Don't worry about the DEA, they're too busy trying to catch Heisenberg to worry about little ole' you.

Before you know it you'll be snorting cocaine off of your 3D printed desktop case fabricated out of gold, and have not a care in the world. That is until your sister barges in and starts shooting at you while the hitmen cartel decide to crash your mansion's lobby.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Customer service, for now.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Worked odd 3D related jobs as a generalist, finding work wherever I could.  Landed a super entry level job, and worked into finding my love of tech and lighting in games, and now on vacation until my next gig starts up beginning of 2016 :)  Paying the bills is #1 priority, games will always be there to be made, and a game industry job is still a job.  Unless you are at someplace like Blizzard, expect to always be boosting the portfolio with personal work (even if you are at Blizzard TBH, you should be) and always be ready to move out and up - hopefully.  

Its a constant cycle of climbing the ladder, even after breaking into the industry.  Working 3D Arch Vis or Military/Medical Sim work is all still art work experience, and definitely will benefit breaking into the industry (and pay bills).  I worked simulation and offline rendering type stuff for 2ish yrs before I was able to sit down and push some poly's in a AAA studio in an entry level spot.  Whatever you do though, don't lose hope, don't lose sight of that goal.  Goals and determination to get out of the "shit" we are in is what drive us to success in the first place. 
  • davefranco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work in store to pay my bills even my family support me but i don't like to ask for money frequently.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I do IT for local government. It's stable, straightforward, and not too stressful most of the time, plus it's a rocksteady schedule that I can plan around. I'm doing indie work on the side, sharpening my art skills, and learning everything I can to improve as an artist during my nights/weekends.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    I work at a grocery store as a 'courtesy clerk'. Aside from that, I do freelance work from time to time, as well as sell virtual products on SecondLife. It helps cover anything I need, usually. This year's been awfully dead, money wise though...
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Been making game art for awhile now. Lucky enough to be working with Irrational on their next super sekr37 project and work from home. Since moving to Texas I teach two college courses online and own 3dmotive.com with my partner Mike Snight. I have an interest in business ownership in the coming years though and eventually retiring as a polygon-pusher. Love what I do though, so hard to imagine doing anything else. This industry is such a moving beast though, that with every dev cycle you get a bit of anxiety trying to keep up with it all the time.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I break into peoples networks for a living - as part of a security testing company of course. :wink:
    Takes me all over the world but it's enjoyable and I kinda get to break things which is what I've always been good at.
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    I used to teach at a vocational school. I don't mind the teaching, but I hated the subjects and the long teaching hours. When I realized things weren't going to get better, I showed management my artistic work and convinced them to assign me as a graphic designer to improve the illustrations in the student manuals.

Maybe try to do the same, see how you can benefit the your institution using your art and convince them to change your role at the company. Then you'll do what you love.

When you decide to do this, don't show up at someone's office and propose. Tell them you want to do a presentation and get two or three of the decision makers. This way you can have time to make them shut up and see the big picture before making a decision.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Simulation stuff for the past 5 years.  I'm hoping to get work in games at some point because I tend to prefer hand painted and chunky fantasy art.  Right now I'm making more realistic art at work, which isn't terrible by any means, but not the most ideal thing to my interests.  The plus is that I'm pretty stable and have almost zero OT so the idea of working in games is kind of daunting.  I like having the free time to raise my daughter and spend time with her.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    It's great to see all of the responses and all the variety in regards to what you guys are currently doing and what some did before. Thanks for all the comments guys!

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Lead Tech artist. If you got any technical talent, it's a good route into games. TAs are in demand, and there are many, many different TA roles: VFX, Substance, programming, shaders, UE-related, Unity-related, rigging... and many people are self taught anyway. Just needs some courage to do something with "tech" in the name
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I did IT for a company that used all Macs, I was told later I got the job because all the other applicants where afraid of apple products.  I said I never used them but was willing to learn, it was the easiest job I ever had.
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    I'm a sheriff deputy in Nashville TN :(