Home Adobe Substance

Texturing props entirely in substance: Worth it?

vbaguirov
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
vbaguirov polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone

I'm still relatively new to substance painter. 

Is it worth it to texture props entirely in substance? What are the benefits of doing this? VS Blocking out the base color in Maya, export in substance and go from there: add edge wear, details, stains and of course roughness and metallic maps.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Your question is pretty vague to be honest. You don't even specify designer or painter. The pros? Keeping your pipeline simple. The downsides? Well you might not be able to do something in substance that you can in PS.

This was done 99% in substance painter (and 1% using nDo in PS for the grip checkering) http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2379095

• ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I have been texturing assets professionally for more than two years with traditional pipeline. Ps, 3dcoat, crazy bump. Now I am using painter for 90% of my texturing time.

Benefits:
    - ability to create details for many maps simultaneously (roughness, color, height, metallic, opacity...)
    - ability to work in low res(for very heavy textures) and then switch to hires without loosing any detail.Painter will reprocess your each brush stroke for the new res.
    - ability to create a lot of detail in a very short amount of time by using awesome detail generators. - very simple and intuitive to use
    - ability of building procedural materials by using various procedural nodes like cloth pattern, stone pattern...  and then reusing same materials for many assets. The details will always be placed in different places
    - if you know how to use substance designer then you can make your own detail generators and use them in painter.

cons: I am still using 3d coat for projecting specific details onto my mesh(tileable belt symbols). Also I find it a lot easier to paint color onto my model in 3d coat.
  • vbaguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vbaguirov polycounter lvl 2
    AHTIANDR, great answer. Thanks a lot! 
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Here is a bit more info on the cons part:

I had to texture a medieval character belt with tileable celtic knots. I tried to do it in painter first but needed to distort/edit the image shape before projection to match the belt model. In 3d coat you can do exactly that.